➴ eighteen: PEACHES ➴

〖 chapter xviii: PEACHES〗

Wysteria's bottom lip was trembling as she stared at Bella in bed

Wysteria's bottom lip was trembling as she stared at Bella in bed. She was hooked up to so many things with so many wires that it made Wysteria tremble with nervousness. Jacob was next to Wysteria, having arrived sometime early morning to see if Bella was awake yet. She wasn't. Jacob had taken her hand to comfort her but Wysteria was the one who laced their fingers together and was squeezing his hand in a death grip. On Wysteria's left, taking up an armchair and pretending to sleep was Edward. He hadn't left Bella's side for even a moment. 

It had been two days and Bella still hadn't woken up.

Bella's mother, Renée, her father Charlie and Wysteria's mother were currently downstairs getting some coffee and taking a break. Wysteria felt silent tears escape her eyes and she quickly wiped them away. "Hey, she's going to be fine." Jacob whispered next to her.

"It's been two days Jacob." Wysteria whispered back, realizing suddenly how close they were sitting. If she leaned in anymore, she could kiss him but she wasn't about to do that with one if her best friends lying comatose and Edward pretending to be asleep nearby.

"She'll be fine. Dr. Cullen is sure of it." Wysteria looked over to Bella again and dropped her head on Jacob's shoulder as Renée came back into the room, smiling kindly at Wysteria and Jacob. Wysteria tried to smile back.

"He's still asleep." Renée whispered, nodding to Edward.

"He sleeps like the dead, yeah." Wysteria said. She was sure she saw Edward's mouth twitch a little.

"It's so sweet that he's been here this whole time, you too of course." Renée said, kissing the top of Wysteria's head. Wysteria was surprised that Bella's mom actually remembered her from when they were kids. Had her chubby baby self made that good of an impression? Renée sighed and went to sit next to Bella again. Jacob stood, tugging on her hand.

"Come on, let's get some fresh air." Wysteria wanted to argue with him, wanted to say no. She wanted to be here when Bella woke up but she took a deep breath, looked over at Edward and Renée and sighed.