➴ twenty-six: FOR THE HELL OF IT ➴

〖 chapter xxvi: FOR THE HELL OF IT〗

By early February, it was all over the Reservation

By early February, it was all over the Reservation. Sam was chasing Emily Young and Leah was a raging storm of fury and sadness. The two could often be seen fighting in hallways of the school, teachers inserting themselves in between the two of them before Leah could throw a punch. Wysteria wasn't even sure but every time she encountered them the waves of anger and sadness rolled off of both Leah and Sam in waves. 

"She's my fucking cousin you asshole! How could you!" Leah screamed as Wysteria tried to hold her back, pulling on her arm. "Look at me when I'm talking to you!" Sam was flanked by Paul and Jared but Sam wouldn't meet Leah's gaze. 

"I'm sorry Leah. I don't know what else to say." Sam said.

"Stop! Just stop please, you're killing me." Leah begged. Wysteria felt a lump form in her throat as her cousin said this. It really was killing her. Leah wouldn't even talk to Emily and she was currently living in their house. Sam finally looked up at her and in a hard, sad voice said,

"I can't." Leah broke down in tears and ran away from Wysteria and the boys, through the parted crowd of teenage onlookers. Wysteria just stared at Sam and the two boys.

"Sam..." Wysteria said softly.

"I don't know what you want me to say Redbird." Sam snapped at her. "I can't..." 

"Sam." Wysteria said more forcefully. He looked at her. "It'll be okay." She didn't know why she said this. More than anything, she was just as furious at Sam for trying to pursue Leah's cousin. Sam eyed her funny and then his eyes shifted up. Wysteria could feel Jacob behind her. She glanced up at him. He was almost as tall as Sam now. Wysteria wondered when that had happened. "Jay, come on." Wysteria said, grabbing his hand and pulling him away. Jacob was glaring at Sam and the two boys and it took Wysteria several tries to get him to turn around and walk away. 

"Just looking at them makes me..." Jacob was seething. Wysteria swore she could feel his hand grow hotter. 

"Hey, it's okay cutie. I don't know what Sam is doing but... Who cares. We need to be there for Leah." Jacob swallowed hard and nodded. Wysteria kissed his cheek. That's what finally made him smile.