19

Returning Koustav knocked the already open door and passed the packet to Ria, "Thank you",came her reply.....he nodded and left the corridor.

He spent whole the afternoon in his room doing his office works. He slept for some time too. Sumit and Mita came back home around 7:00 pm. Binni came to call Ria for tea, she was in deep sleep, snuggling Titli's pillow. She then called Koustav going upstairs.

Coming down, Koustav saw Ria was not here.....his mother was calling Namit uncle to give him the news about Titli's illness. Both Sumit and Koustav were not happy about it. Sumit changed the topic by stating that the doctor decided to give Titli early discharge,as she was improving fast.....but she needed to be in good care at home.

Ending the call, Mita put on the cooker on the oven, and went upstairs to see Ria. Koustav saw the lights of corridor flickering on, his mother entering her room.

After sometime, Ria came down behind his mother, she sat on a chair opposite him. Binni kept a cup of warm water in front of her. Sumit was telling stories about Titli's childhood . Ria kept listening how each one of them narrated the stories.

In the month of September, Ria was feeling cold. She sat on the sofa, her legs and feet were hurting now. Seeing her getting uncomfortable Koustav went to his room, opened his almirah, brought out the electric hot pouch, kept it on his table and resumed his works.

Meanwhile Tuhin called to know about Titli's progress. He ended the call and heard his mother yelling after his father for not having dinner.

To avoid his mother's wrath, he came down too. Binni was gone already.Ria was laughing seeing the elderly couple fighting over the piece of  sweet. She was unaware of one pair of eyes noticing her every action.

While she was leaving the table, Koustav whispered," Meet me in my room once".

She had not entered this room in last few days....the condition was worse than her first time here. Ria picked up one of his shirt, she looked towards the entrance, Koustav had not come upstairs yet. She sniffed his shirt,it smelt of his cigarette,his scent, she then separated the used ones from the washed,fresh shirts and half folded them before keeping on a side stool. No bottle of water was kept there today. Bed sheet was disarranged too. Koustav entered his room while Ria was tucking his bed sheet properly.

Koustav: I don't know if it will help or not, but take it.

He said passing the electric hot pouch towards her. Ria looked at the little blue pouch.Seeing her hesitating

Koustav: It belongs to her. She used it too. You can have it.....I think it'll help you. 

Ria: Thanks! But are you comfortable me using her things?

Koustav: You are you. Why wouldn't I?

Ria: I am going to chug down one big mug of coffee....Do you need one?

Koustav: I'll come with you too.

They both came downstairs.Koustav switched on the kitchen lights.Ria brought out two big coffee mugs on the counter.
"I'll make it today",told Koustav. Saying it he poured milk and put it on the oven. Ria sat on the high stool in front of kitchen counter.

Ria: Coffee powder is in that container.

She pointed towards a glass jar on the side rack.Koustav paid no attention and started to find something on the opposite cupboard. He came back to the counter with the tub of dark chocolate.

Ria: Hey! You were supposed to make coffee....I'm craving for it.

Koustav: Coffee is no good for you. It contains caffeine.Right now, You have to try the hot chocolate I make.

He started to mix the chocolate with the milk.

Ria: Yes masterchef! If it turns out bad like your tea! I'm going to make the coffee.....

Koustav: Try it. You are agreeing that I make awful tea.

Ria took a few sips, said nothing...Koustav sippedd his mug too.She chugged down the whole mug, burped and said..

Ria: Yummy! It was the best hot chocolate I' ve tried yet....you make it better than my mother too.When did you learn to make it?

Koustav: She used to love it....been making it for her since my college days....I used to prepare it before going college and carry it in a thermos mug.
She craved for it during her pregnancy too. She used to sit with the whole tub during her menses.

Koustav had a smile on his lips the whole time he talked about Nikita.Ria was listening him speaking so freely with eyes wide.....she was too surprised to see the change as he talked about his past,his wife,their pregnancy......Time was flowing...no one noticed how much time passed....The smile on his lips vanished,when he realised the reality of now........Koustav opened the fridge door and brought out one bar of chocolate.

Koustav: Have it. It'll help with your mood.

Koustav started to go upstairs...he turned hearing her voice

Ria:Listen Koustav....take this bottle with you upstairs....you might need it. And I believe in sharing.

She tore the wrapper of the chocolate, broke it into two parts, stretched her palm containing half the chocolate.

Koustav: Thank you.

He took the chocolate and grabbed the bottle by his other hand.

Koustav: When you are starting going university again?

Ria : tomorrow, perhaps.

Koustav: I'll drop you to the bus stop....

Ria: when are you going to see Titli?

Koustav: She is returning here the day after tomorrow....I don't think we need to go tomorrow.

Ria: You might be busy! I'll go to see her after university. She is important for me too.

Koustav stared at her with a unreadable expression on his face.

Ria gulped noy knowing if she had said anything to rotten his mood.

She put both the mugs and kept them on the sink, turning on the faucet ,filled the mugs with water. She thought he had definitely left for sleep. Ria almost jumped hearing his sudden voice..

Koustav: Let me know about the time you finish your classes....I'll pick you up...we will go together for Titli.You have my contact number right?

Ria: No.

Koustav forwarded his phone towards her ,unlocking it. She took it and kept staring at him blankly, not knowing what to do.

Koustav: Don't look at me like an idiot.Put your contact number in it and give it back to me.
He flashed that charming smile again. Ria's knees were weak this time.

Ria silently typed her phone number and gave it to him.....he saved it under her name before giving her a ring...

Then they left for their respective rooms. She hurriedly checked her phone. Those 10 digits were flashing on her screen....without the help of the hot pouch,her every pain was gone.

_________________________________________

Hey lovelies! Thanks for being here. DO VOTE,COMMENT & SHARE if you like my book....be happy....stay safe...take care♥️♥️♥️♥️