43(ii)

Binni was busy in setting the dining table. Excusing herself from Adrij and Titli, Ria had gone to see her MIL if she needed any help. Earlier Mita had come herself to Adrij and talked to him for a while. She looked in pleasant mood after meeting him. " Ma,should I help in something?", Ria felt quite odd as Nilima was helping her today.

"You go and talk to them, see if someone needs tea or cola.",Mita said and pointed to ask Adrij.

While going to others, she did asked him if he wanted something or not. He was talking with Namit and looking adorably at Niloy. After a while Adrij got up and got near the elders, touched their feet and went home. Titli went outside too.

Koustav found their guests quite humble and very open. As they too left, everyone finally sat for having dinner. Binni had gone home too. Koustav got to sit beside his wife, he was enjoying the delicious foods until "The boy seems rich. Where did you find him? And what does he find in you?", Nilima asked Titli chewing her food.

Titli just looked at her. " You have aged enough aunty, but sadly you still don't know who to tell what.",Koustav shouted. " Me, my life is not enough for you,  now you've chosen your step-daughter too. What did you think no body knows how you two got married? It was you who married my uncle for his wealth. Don't think others like your low self.The more you've been spared,the more you've exploited us. Don't talk to us further.",he added. His red eyes and high pitched voice not only scared Titli, Ria got goose bumps too. Taking Titli and hers plate Ria got up from the table and went upstairs quickly. Namit kept sitting lowering his head.

Sumit kept quite till Koustav went upstairs, leaving his plate midway. Only the four sitting on the table." It is better, if you move out of this house Namit, along with your family.",Sumit ordered before getting up.

"As soon as possible. Consider it as your brother's last wish and one more thing,  Titli's mother gave her to my wife before dying....so she is our responsibility. We'll do the best for her.",his voice came from the basin area. Then he called Mita.

The peace was gone. The festive vibe being ruined. Ria kept looking at the lights from her balcony. Frequent sobbing sounds of Titli turning into soft snores. Still no sign of her husband. The food plates kept as it were brought here. She yawned,looking at the watch ,she decided to lie down for a while.

As Niloys's crying from next room increased, she got up from her sleeping position.The room still had only two of them. Tiptoeing she got out of her room, instinctively, she went to the roof. Her eyes found his standing form in the darkness. His cigarette burning in between his fingers. As Koustav sensed someone's presence, he said," you should be sleeping right now. ",and checked his watch.

Coming closer to him, Ria took the smoke from his hands and threw it away,saying," Beside you."

Not saying any further, they stood at the roof looking at the lights coming from the pandals. "Just tonight. All the lights will be gone tomorrow.",Ria's mind saddened with Koustav's sigh.

"How is Titli? Is she still in our room?",Koustav quarried. " I don't know. She slept without saying one word.",came her answer. Her eyes at him.

Seeing Ria yawning one after another, Koustav took her hand and went towards his old room. For a moment Ria's daze was gone. Koustav opened the latch and entered after her. Ria had no idea how the room was so clean . "Binni did it.",his voice cleared her confusion.

Sitting on the bed Ria kept looking at the room. Her minds full of memories of her first days here. Koustav came to the room to find her sleeping. He switched off the lights, closing the door and slept beside her.

Sumit skipped his morning walk as he had no mind to see his brother leaving. The wall clock showed it was 7. He knew when Mita woke up too. She was calling Binni at this hour to inform her that she was needed there today.