49

The day of bhai-phota came and passed quickly. It was like any other day. Only Tuhin came to meet his sister. Koustav too, left for office after Titli completed the ritual. Ria herself had mixed the sandal powder with curd and dew. Tuhin sat to eat some sweets when she had done applying the 'phota'. Koustav fondled with his car-keys and nodded a hesitant bye to everyone. As Koustav left, Ria felt lonely cause she had grown the habit of seeing him all day since last few days.

The whole day ,she kept herself in her room, opening her books and trying getting back to her study mode. The University classes would be resuming from the next day. Titli on the other hand, had her final exams starting from this month's 3rd week. Sumit had sent her to Ria for revising her chapters. Usually she would have started rambling about school and other topics, but today Ria seemed different, a little grumpy. Titli chose to keep quiet.

Koustav got back around 8:30 in the evening. The work load did not allow him to even call her once. He was thinking about her reaction while returning.As he entered, no one was in the hall.Mita saw him as he sat on the sofa,gulping water from a bottle, she took his bag and kept a glass of juice in front of him, "Take it for 'your wife'. I tried multiple times, she has not taken anything since you left." Koustav had to go upstairs.

Titli saw him first. She got relief as her escape was in front of her eyes. Ria was giving her problems for solving continuously. " Dada is here. You two talk.....I'm going downstairs to eat something.",not waiting for Ria's saying anything,she literally ran away.

Koustav was looking at her. She got up from the bed and kept her books aside. " Your towel is in the bathroom,go and change. Why are you standing there like a statue?", she instructed pointing at the washroom.

"Ma sent this for you", he kept the glass on the table nearby. He dragged it no further and obeyed his wife like a kid.

The glass was still full as he returned." Don't forget to drop me from tomorrow. I'll leave at 10:10."

He looked at her from the back. His appointment was on tomorrow too. " I fixed my appointment tomorrow with my healer. You wanted to come too. Are you still coming?",he asked in a low voice.

He noticed Ria touching her forehead with two fingers." Yeah....thanks for telling, I had almost forgotten."

Koustav took the chance and walked near her. "What has happened? Why did you not eat?",he kept his head on her shoulder and asked. All the tension,anxiety she had started to vanish with his being so close.

"Who told you?",She asked still looking outside.

"Ma's tone. She never called you 'my wife' ever before. Since I remember, she adresses you as her daughter.",Koustav thought she would be normal by now.

Hearing his callous reply,her insides burned. This pregnancy was making her depressed and annoyed at every other thing." How could she not call me that as her only son never accepted me before? It is the main thing you clarified on our reception.",she took the glass and finished the content in just two long sips.

Koustav was very tired himself. He went downstairs and asked Binni to serve dinner, on the other hand Ria was sulking. Her eyes got brighter as he saw him coming in the room with two plates." If you don't eat right now,with me,I'm cancelling my appointment.",closing the door Koustav said directly. He watched as she sat on the chair and waited for him.

Two of them ate and slept early that night. Koustav knew he had to explain her everything and Ria was afraid thinking she had pissed him off.

The next morning Ria's mood was good as he dropped her. This time Koustav made no mistake in mumbling "love you!",which her made blush. Saying bye ,she entered the campus.