22

Titli was chatting with someone over phone,when Ria entered the room. Her mother -in- law was perhaps a taking a nap. Seeing her,Titli kept the phone aside and gave a big smile. Ria asked her if she had taken her medicines and checked her temperature once before going to change her clothes.

Ria was draping her peach colored saree,while Titli was asking her about random things..she heard Namit uncle had already gone to hospital today and this was the cause of Titli's good mood.

She checked herself last time in the mirror....she looked well in her simple makeup. "Time for some rest",Ria announced pointing her watch.

"When will you comeback? I'll miss you! " Titli said smiling.

"As soon as I can. We'll have dinner together", came her reply while bidding a bye.

Ria saw Koustav still sitting on the table, just like she left him an hour ago. She decided just to pass him without making any sound.

"Tuhin invited me too."came his voice from behind. "Don't force yourself for anything.",saying this she left.

Basu residence was full of voices while Ria entered. Her parents were sitting opposite to Nabila's parents. They ushered her to sit beside Nabila. Ria had known Nabila's parents for almost 3 years now. Both of them were very open-minded from the beginning. Nabila's mother had become Ria's second mom when she was outside Kolkata.

Tea time arrived, Ria got up to make it. The door bell rang at the same time. Telling everyone to sit, she went to answer it. Opening the doors, she saw him standing there. Koustav's eyes met hers that moment. He had changed his clothes before coming.....this fragrance of his musky scent was known to her.....His stare was normal now unlike this morning. Tuhin's voice broke the trance between them. Koustav entered and sat beside his in-laws. Nabila entered the kitchen too, to help her serving the tea. Ria made her carry the tray carrying tea for both the elderly couples. She took the cups for rest of them.

Koustav stood up to help Ria, he passed the cups to Nabila and Tuhin one by one. Ria could not believe his sudden change. She just sat beside him and started sipping it.

She was happy seeing her parents and brother beaming with joy. It was decided, the marriage would take place the next year  but there would be an engagement in November as Soma insisted. She could not wait anymore to make Nabila her daughter.

Around 8 pm,Nabila and her parents left for their relative's house. They had to return home by tomorrow. Soma was telling Koustav to have dinner with them. Ria postponed the plan telling her about Titli,while Koustav was willing to have dinner.

Koustav followed her when she was returning.He came in front of her, as she was close to in-laws home.

"Can you come with me tomorrow?", Koustav asked in his deep voice.

"Is he asking for a date?", She thought herself. But his expressions said otherwise.

"When?" ,She said instead.

"Around 6:30 am.....be ready on time tomorrow", he said lighting a smoke.

"But where? That too this early!!", she said in a low voice.

" You need to meet someone very important tomorrow" came his reply in between his puffs.

Dinner time was different today, the usual giggles were back in the house as well as Titli. Ria was giving her in-laws the news of the engagement while Mita was feeding Titli soup, which she considered awful....they were laughing seeing her making faces.

Ria came upstairs with Titli. She was confused. "Now who else wants to meet me at 6:30 in the morning!?",she thought before sleeping.

_________________________________________

Ria stopped her alarm on the second ring as Titli was in deep sleep. She checked it was 5:45. She quietly checked her temperature once more and entered wash room. She was thankful that she could sleep some more in the afternoon as it was Sunday.

Wearing a plain salwar suit, she came downstairs.It was 6:15 already. She found her specs that she left on the table last night. While drinking some water, she heard his foot steps.

He looked totally calm this morning. Ria waited for him to say something,
"Come soon, the cab will be here anytime now!",he said in a low voice. She followed him outside. She saw him keeping a bag in the back of the seats.

The roads were empty, the cab reached its destination within 20 minutes. It was a completely unknown place to her. The board read " Peace world". The words ( Hindu Burrial Ground) written below the name were enough to make her pale in shock. She never knew this place existed.Koustav gestured her to come with him.She just walked beside him, nothing was coming in her mind. The place was very calm, there were large trees everywhere, many nameless birds were chirping. Ria noticed Koustav going towards the left corner , she sped up her steps to match his. He stood below a beatiful Chattim( Devil's tree) tree , she saw him getting down on his knees beside a little place. She went closer.He was keeping a purple onezie, a teddy and some roses on it. Ria was watching him silently, his hands were running over and over the soft grass.

Koustav stood up and turned towards her. She saw the tears in his eyes.

Koustav: My son,Rik is sleeping here. I wanted you to meet him.

Ria just stood there, she could feel his pain. Her own throat started hurting for suppressing the tears.

Ria: I hadn't heard about him...the baby!

Koustav: Only my parents know.

Ria: When was he born? It is too confusing for me...

Koustav: 3 years ago today...Nikita was in an accident. When I reached the hospital, she was declared dead, but the doctors informed me they delivered him. He too left me like his mother later that night. I came to hospital after her cremation, to find my son sleeping in peace.

He passed his handkerchief towards a crying Ria now.

Ria: I'm sorry....I don't know what to say to you. When did you buy all these for him?

Koustav: Yesterday ,after dropping you.

Ria: I am really sorry. It was completely unintentional from my side.

Saying this she went towards the little grave, she picked up and threw some leaves fallen over the grass.

Koustav then helped her to stand up. They were returning. Ria noticed the place was unlike christian or muslim burial grounds...there were no masonry works, no graves would be identified by the outsiders.....Koustav met an old guard, gave him the packet.

While coming home, Koustav was silent.Ria started in a chocky voice.

Ria: Would you like if I put the flowers on her?

Koustav: No.....I don't do it myself....but if you want, you can.

Ria: What do you do then?

Koustav: Just what I did right now. I come to see him whenever I miss her.

Ria: It's really awkward to ask...how do you recognise where he is....you know!

Koustav: Nikita loved to the fragrance of Chatim flowers, I bribed the guard to plant one Chatim tree nearby,two years ago. Now that tree guards him.

Ria: Why did not yours parents tell me too?

Koustav: Ask them.

And the car came to a halt in front of their home....

_________________________________________

Hey lovelies!! Thanks for being here and choosing my book.....DO VOTE,SHARE AND COMMENT if you liked it.....let me know your thoughts about the chapters.......stay safe...be happy....take care..♥️♥️♥️♥️