46

Ria was looking at the window and him, so many old memories floating inside her mind.Another month passed with November arriving tomorrow. She  heard her mother calling from downstairs. Hurriedly she entered for a shower, as she had to wash off the extra oil she applied on her scalp. She heard him speaking near the door, " Be careful while walking."  For a moment she had forgotten about her state, deciding to remain silent, she continued rubbing in the shampoo in her long hair. But this little work started to numb her fingers and hands slowly.

He was nowhere, when she got back to her room. Applying the vermillion,she walked to the kitchen. Tuhin's room was closed,so there was no chance of him being there. Perhaps he had gone to the roof or somewhere downstairs.

Soma had completed cooking and was now packing some boxes.Koustav was seated beside, tasting the dishes one by one. He looked like a typical foodlover Bong. Her mind flew to the first days of her marriage where he used to eat anything that was cooked, she was happy that he was going back to his normal self.

" Why are you packing these?",Ria asked combing her hair. Soma kept the containers one above another and placed some more mutton in Koustav's plate. He seemed not to mind. The aroma and colours of the cooked fish, simply made her mouth water.

Guessing her daughter's situation,Soma readied another plate and put it in front of her telling," Sumit da and your Mother-in-law loves these dishes. I'm sending these to them through Titli."

" Titli? When did she come here?", Ria asked while eating. "She hasn't arrived yet. I called her just some time ago.",came Soma's answer along with the ringing of the doorbell.

Stopping Soma,Koustav opened the door. Titli entered the house, and went near Ria. Soon Soma made her eat too,till she was full. Then she returned back to her house along with the bag of containers.

Soma was still waiting for her husband to return home ," Ma, you too sit now. I'll serve you!",Ria had started saying. Soma said  no and sent both upstairs for a nap.

Seeing Ria closing the windows, Koustav sat on the bed, placing the pillows he made it ready."I don't feel like sleeping.",he said as Ria came and lied on her sides.

"This balcony and window brings out the beauty of this house. What do you say? ", Koustav asked. Groggily Ria replied," Not only beauty, but also my whole life is attached with it."

Koustav said nothing, patted her shoulder in order to hear more."Ma used to feed me here, I played with my cousins, once Baba punished me here", Koustav could feel her smiling in the faint light of room.

"I first saw you from here, when you came with Tuhin da. I used to see you while you went college or returned home. Say, I remembered your Pujo looks too.",a smile line reached her eyes slowly.

"Thats exactly how many years?",Koustav could not stop himself from interrupting.

"Soon to be 9"

"That is quite long ago. You were a kid at that time. What did you find in me?", he nuzzled his nose on the back of her neck. Now Ria could feel his hot breath over her skin.

" You had become a habit of mine. I think that Dada guessed it. When after your marriage I left Kolkata, he supported me the most! He never lectured me regarding you. Only he was there."

" So basically you left your parents, everyone else because of me?",his voice choked as sudden realisation hit him.

" Not entirely. But to some extent- yes. My habit had become quite stubborn. In order to get rid of it I left. I was making my mind to return home, even I came too. I left this city,once I saw your tear stained face while she passed away. I was baffled. I could not bear to see you like that. Just came back home and the next day I was on a express train, travelling  for 11 hours standing.",she stopped and got up for grabbing some water. The food had shot up her acidity.