24

The rest of the day went as usual. Mita strictly forbade Ria to enter the kitchen,when she came to know about her exams during dinner. Ria was feeling tired,she might have fallen asleep beside her pile of notes and books if Titli had not dragged her downstairs to eat.

Ria was too sleepy to notice anyone after finishing her dinner. Bidding good night to everyone, she went to her room.

Koustav took the photograph upstairs. He sat down on the chair and started to pack the photograph with a newspaper and kept that in its proper place..he kept looking the photographs he clicked of her on his laptop. Strangely only good things about her were coming in his mind. Previously, on this day every year the horrific memories started to reel over and over inside his mind.

The night passed that way....

_________________________________________

It was the alarm that woke her up. She checked, it was 4 in the morning. Hurriedly Ria got inside the washroom to splash some water on her face, to get rid of the sleepiness. Ria was on study leave. The next day was the first day of her exams. Putting the phone on silent mode she started looking through the notes.

The calmness of this time was really helping her to keep things in her memory. After one and half hours, continuous yawns were making her eyes close automatically, re-reading the same stanzas made her realise that a strong cup of tea would be her saviour right at this moment.

She switched off her table lamp before leaving for making tea. While she was getting down the stairs, clattering sounds coming from the kitchen caught her attention.

Koustav was making tea, seeing her he poured her a cup too, and picked up his to take a sip.

Mumbling a good morning, Ria took the cup in her hands and said,"How did you know I was up?"

Koustav: Good Morning! I saw your room light on! Knew you were up.

Ria: Oh!

Koustav: How are your preparations going on?

Ria: usual.....nothing great.

Koustav: Just concentrate on your studies now! Other things can wait. Feel free to tell me if you need any help.

Ria: I'll......you know, I was going to ask you for the analysis part.

Koustav: Ok! I'll see what I can do.

Ria: who removed her photo from table?

Koustav: I picked the photo up last night. Did you say anything to Ma?

Ria: regarding?

Koustav breathed a small sigh and took Rik's name.

Ria: Yes.....she could tell me.....I agreed to this marriage....especially chose you knowing the whole scenario. Keeping that part hidden from me, was of no use. It made me more guilty.....more frustrated of this situation.

Koustav paused for a moment, then nodded his head. He was taking the final sip of his tea.

Koustav: what situation?

Ria: our situation. You confuse me sometimes! I don't know in what place I am right now?

Koustav: I trust you. Not everyone of your age can be so considerate or sensible like you...even I was not at 21. You are you.

Ria( knowing the conversation going nowhere): So when are you returning today?

Koustav:6:30 ish. I think, the room is not great for studies with Titli....why don't you use the room beside as your study.