10

The Athenians were camping only a mile away as the Spartans set their own camp, readying fire with thin twigs and logs and set their tents.
Discreet Leodius watched his men with pride as they unpacked their necessities, men tying a few goats and bulls to trees, so that the army would have milk and abundant meat.

And across from the Spartans, the Athenian king, Xerxes, scowled: "These poor fools, little protection do they have. We will o'er throw them with ease, for they look weak and have little men, and I will avenge my brothers death with Leodius's heart brought to me, am I understood?"
And thus his trusted servant spoke: "Yes my lord." And he bowed and left to order his men.
And Xerxes watched with glee as beautiful dancers danced with grace before him in their thin, revealing clothing.

Leodius gathered his men around him, so that he would share his plan: "Hearken now, as the night comes in and the sun lowers to where we mortals cannot see, I will gather strong swimmers and we will swim to the Athenians, so that they will not see us coming, and set aflame their camp. "
And then the men cheered and prepared a feast and waited till nightfall, and whence it came, and the sun had lowered itself past the eyes of mortals, the strong swimmers gathered, spears in hand as they swam quietly to the Athenians, Leodius in lead. Melpomeni was one of these swimmers, along with the disguised goddess, Athene.

They swam secretly to the camp where women danced and everyone feasted. And whence their feet touched dry land, they snatched torches from their stands and threw them onto dry hay and grass, this spreading quickly through the camp, thence they threw the torches onto tents, men and women from the camp screamed in horror, and the Spartans fled from the scene, the Athenians never seeing them.

And whence they made it back, the men cheered and then feasted themselves.
And men laughed at Witty Hortensias as he jests to them in good humor, and one man, whom was a bard before volunteering, sang a beautiful song of the affair of Aphrodite and Ares.
And said to him the beautiful Melpomeni: "Your voice is like that of the gods, who is your teacher? Or are you your own?"
And answered her the man with talent: "I am my own teacher, for the muse did not choose to grant me with my gift."
And the men praised him and asked him to sing once again, and they mixed wine and drank.

Melpomeni smiled among her comrades, unknowing of the hungry eyes that watched her.
A sorry looking man, Zumatus, brushed his hand onto her shoulder and thus spoke, in secret words,: "Hearken lady, for tonight should be a night never to forget. Join me in my tent and we should come to trust each other..."

And Melpomeni kept placid: "I am sorry, for I cannot partake in such actions. It would be unfaithful, if I ever did, should the gods look down on me with disgust. " And she laughed, trying to ease the tension.

The man's expression worried her, and she could not read what he was thinking.
He pushed his own hand from her and yelled in disgust: "Watch your tongue when you speak to a man! Asking me to bed you when I have already said I am married!"
And no one seemed to care for his lying, for they knew this lewd man and his troubling ways.
Melpomeni joined in with ignoring the crazed man.
Zamatus's face reddened with rage and he stormed away to his tent.