12

The golden afternoon sun placed a welcoming warmth upon the faces of the Spartan army.
They marched to the Athenians, where they stood waiting for their arrival.
The armies faced each other, the immortals had no more importance than a normal soldier to the Spartans.
The mighty goddesses, Athene and Artemis, blessed them with courage in their hearts and made them swifter and taller than they where the day before.

Leodius raised his sword to the open sky and let out a battle cry, his comrades doing the same as they ran towards the immortals.
They clashed swords and spears, men falling down as they where cut through.

Melpomeni fought close to Hortensias, he was slicing through men with ease.
Though luck was not on his side and he was cut across the chest and shoulder, the man that did that to him continued to try and slaughter Hortensias, but he fought back as strong as he could. Melpomeni could not help for she herself was struggling, though it did not phase her, she kept her brows furrowed as she crashed swords with the Athenian.

Soon, the Athenians were being pushed back and they once again fled to their camp, sparing themselves.
The Spartans laughed with glee as they had once again defeated the Athenians, proud they o'er threw prized warriors .
Leodius thought king Xerxes shameful for sending in his best and it made the man laugh.

"Come men, lest we go back to camp and feast! For we have defeated the best of the Athenians and our reward being their king's embarrassment."
And so they cheerfully left for camp and took care of their wounded.

Melpomeni sat beside Hortensias as he laid on the colorful rugs and blankets, a now bloody rag tucked to his chest.
She brought them food and a fresh rag for his wound.

"I am thankful for your kindness friend. Must your Father and honorable mother be proud of such a grand daughter."
And Melpomeni smiled as they ate in the small tent, sharing stories and jokes.

King Xerxes was nothing less than furious.
He took hold of his no longer trusted servant's armoured robes and thus said: "Look at what you've done you damned fool! How do you expect my men to fight after what they've seen today?"
And his servant bowed his head: "My lord, you could have me hanged. "
And Xerxes straightway replied: "Death is too good for you. Leave, I never want to see your face again. Go!"
And so his servant bowed and left the king's sight.
The lovely ship-fighter, Artemisia, sat beside king Xerxes, making sure to press herself against him.
And thus she spoke: "Xerxes, you do not have to tolerate those Spartan fools. Clearly, the gods have vexed you for an act you have made. Does anything come to mind that you have done unjust?"
And Xerxes raised his voice to the woman: "You dare assume I have wronged? For I am a just leader, and I rule absolutely, aegis-bearing Zeus knows and understands of this. I have a right to assume you may be helping those Spartans! "
And Artemisia placed herself closer to Xerxes, wrapping her arms about him and thus saying in winged words: "My king, I wouldn't do such a thing, you know my heart yearns only for you."
He stroked her face lovingly and thus replied: "Good, because if I ever hear word that you're lying to me, I'll have your throat cut. "