vingt sept

November 14th

It took another week for Tate to get back on her regular sleep schedule. Which also wasn't very regular. She is starting to get out of the house more. Bringing Avery along as well. She always had Paul with her lately, because apparently 'Sam has to take care of a tribe member'. 

She realized that she hasn't been hanging out with the Cullen's. She understood that they must be very busy and are probably sick of her constant attendance in their lives...at least, that's what she told herself. 

She had gotten so used to helping everyone around her that she forgot to help herself. Everyone has gotten to grieve. Except her. Jasper knew this from reading her emotions and consulting with Edward about her thoughts. He had to help her. 

●○●

November 15th

Jasper didn't really have a plan. He was sitting outside the Fernsby home, his car on, just sitting there. He knew he was going to approach her on the subject...but how? Was he gonna be straight forward about it? Was he going to ease his way into talking about it? Is he just going to make her sad--No. He would never purposefully make her sad.

Jasper actually flinched, 'flinched', when Mr. Fernsby knocked on his window. He smiles at the older man and quickly rolls it down. 

"Hello, Jasper."

"Good evening, Mr. Fernsby."

The two stare at each other awkwardly. Pure silence for a couple of minutes.

"Do nothing that you wouldn't tell my mother later on."

"Yes, sir."

Mr. Fernsby looks around Jasper's car before looking him straight in the eye again.

"She hasn't grieved yet. It's normal. Don't push her."

"Yes, sir."

And with that, Mr. Fernsby walked over to his own car and drove away. He noticed that there were no other cars, meaning that Mrs. Fernsby was gone also. Jasper stops his car and heads into the unlocked home.

Jasper could hear the soft clicking of a keyboard from the upstairs. More than likely her bedroom. He swiftly, quietly, and quickly walks up to her room, opens the door, and watches as she types away on her computer. He sneaked a peek at what she is currently writing. An email. An email to someone named 'Isaac Schneider'. She was telling him about what happened to her sister. About how Bailey and her missed him. About how Avery is gaining some of his features. 

That's when it clicked. Isaac Schneider is Avery's father. Bailey Fernsby was Avery's mother. This was the guy that was sent to a military school for getting Bailey pregnant. Tatum didn't have any other older siblings. It was just her and her sister. That's why she was always taking care of Avery 24/7. Jasper always thought it was an even older sibling's kid and that they were just in college. Oh dang, he was so wrong.

"Jasper? What're you doing here?" Tate asks, closing her computer. She sits up on her bed. She was wearing gray sweatpants and a plain, white t-shirt. Her curly hair was braided together in one braid. It was the simplest look she's ever worn...but it still made Jasper's needless breathing stop. 

"I wanted to talk to you about some stuff." What was he doing? He had no idea what 'stuff' was! Was he just pulling stuff out of his ass again? Yes...yes he was.

"Okay, but, c'mere and sit. You don't have to stand all the time," Tate says, smiling softly. She is finally in a somewhat relaxed state. After trying everything from yoga and meditation to face masks and warm baths, she finally felt the slightest bit relaxed. Jasper sits down on her bed, right across from her. He looks down at his lap, purposely not making eye contact.

"I'm pretty good at recognizing people's emotions. Carlisle says it's a rare gift. The only downside is that when I'm vulnerable, I can feel those emotions too." Jasper chuckles out, shaking his head softly. "It's a lot stronger when it's the emotions of people we care about dearly."

Jasper finally looks her in the eye, immediately regretting it. She knew what that meant. She knew what he was trying to say. She understood. And it scared her. A lot of things scare her, but the knowledge of her friend knowing her true feelings. Her true feelings for him. That scares her shitless.

"So, Tate, please tell me why you are feeling so guilty and exulansis?"

"What does that mean?"

"It means that you gave up trying to explain your problems to people because they are unable to comprehend what you are going through. Edward taught me that one," Jasper says, smiling sadly as Tate lets out a small chuckle. Her shoulders were slumped and she seems defeated.

"I don't like feeling this way. It sucks."

"Then don't feel that way, tell me. I'll listen," Jasper says.

"Jasper, I'm going to say something and you can never repeat this. No matter what. Understand?" Tatum says, looking him ferociously in the eyes. Her mood change is drastic. Jasper simply nods his head and gives her a quick pinky promise. 

"I promise."