cinquante-deux

February 21st

Tatum sits on the top of her car hood and watches as Edward and Bella interact awkwardly

Tatum sits on the top of her car hood and watches as Edward and Bella interact awkwardly. Jasper was standing on the ground next to her and reading the book he had gotten earlier from Mr. Wang. Tatum scrunches her eyebrows and taps Jasper's shoulder.

"What's he saying to her?" she asks him. He looks at her before checking where she was looking. He cringes as he sees Bella and Edward talking.

"They're talking about how he saved her in Port Angeles. He told her about his gift," Jasper says, scrunching his eyebrows as a way of zoning out. Tatum was shocked to hear that. Her biggest question was; Did Rosalie know? If Rosalie didn't already know, she'd be furious when she found out. 

"Does she know?"

"Not yet," Jasper says. "But Alice has been hinting to him about it."

"Welp, Bella is in for a rough ride."

●○●

March 18th

Bella knew everything. She was such an idiot too. She thought that Tatum didn't know. She thought that out of everyone, she was the special one. And it was starting to get on Tatum's nerves. 

She hadn't had a problem with Bella until now. And it was all because of a dumbass comment Bella had made. It was in their only shared class, creative writing. They had been partnered together for a small project and Bella was trying to make conversation.

"So," she says awkwardly. "Are you and Jasper dating?"

"We don't know. Well, we actually don't care to label what it is."

"So it isn't love?"

Tatum had stopped what she was doing and just stared at Bella with a deadly look. Bella had done goofed. She was done for. She had made, possibly, the worst mistake ever. Bella's eyes widen and she tries to take back her words, but it's useless.

"Let's just get this project done," Tatum says, looking down at their barely started project. 

●○●

March 23rd

Jasper had started to notice something was very wrong. Tatum hadn't been hanging out with him at all. At first, he thought it was because Avery needed a babysitter. But, in reality, it was because she was doubting their relationship. Jasper had no clue about what Bella had said, and she wanted to keep it that way. 

So, Jasper decided to confront her after school about it. The final bell had rung and he, as humanly as he could, ran to Tatum's car. He watches carefully as she walks out of the school, talking to someone on the phone. She doesn't notice he's there until she is about to unlock the car.

"What are you doing here?" she asks, pushing the speaker of her phone onto her shoulder. 

"We need to talk," Jasper says, crossing his arms over his chest. Her eyes widen and she mentally lets out every single cuss word in the vocabulary of a sailor. Jasper notices the sudden pike of anxiety and she immediately feels a tingle of calm run down her spine, giving her goose-pimples. "Not that type of talk. More like a, uh, check-in."

"Talk in the car?" Tatum suggests, unlocking her car and placing her backpack in the backseat. Jasper quickly hops in the passenger seat. He watches her movements closely as she gets inside the car herself. 

"You've been distant lately, I need you to tell me what's going on."

"I...I don't know," Tatum lies. 

"I know you do."

"What are we?" Tatum asks. Jasper freezes. 

"I don't know," he says slowly. "What do you want us to be?"

"I want us to love each other," Tatum says. "But, don't we need a relationship for that?"

"You don't need a relationship to love someone," Jasper says, grabbing her hand and caressing his thumb over her knuckles. "I don't have a relationship with dogs but I still love them."

Tatum laughs softly and smiles up at Jasper. He looks at her, specifically her eyes. His eyes drift from hers to her smile, it made him smile softly as well. Jasper pulls her closer to him and wraps his arms around her shoulders. She felt warm trapped inside the soft cold. None-the-less, it felt nice. 

"Why was this even brought up?" Jasper asks, resting his chin on her head.

"Bella said something stupid and it made me overthink."

"Well, don't listen to her," Jasper says, kissing her forehead. She slightly pulls away from him but stays inside his embrace. Jasper looks down at her and just admires her beauty.

"I love you, darlin'."

●○●