Strawberries: Part 1

~ mature language is used ~

The cold winter morning stings your face as you walk through the doors of your job, sighing along the way. The familiar surroundings of the building meet your sight as you enter the elevator. Being a profiler for the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI is (sometimes) a lot of fun, a crap ton of work, and a complete shit ton of scarring events that sometimes keep you awake at night.

But, hey! At least your coworkers are alright.

Your boss, Aaron Hotchner, often referred to as "Hotch," is extremely intimidating. In fact, he's what everyone thinks of when an FBI agent is mentioned: a poker face 24/7, a short and pristine haircut, an almost emotionless voice, and a lifetime of danger-filled and heartbreaking stories. While he seems so big and bad, you know (deep down) that Hotch is a great boss and is phenomenal at what he does. And yes, the man does smile once in a while.

David Rossi is probably the best cook you know. His Italian roots give him some crazy good cooking skills - skills that you wish you had. Similar to Hotch, Rossi is incredible at what he does. Rossi can profile someone in two seconds and be totally correct on it. Rossi's been around for a long time, so his experience on profiling puts yours to shame. Then again, you do like to believe that everyone on this team makes you look terrible at your job.

If you ever need a tech gal, Penelope Garcia is your girl. She can hack a single computer system in a matter of seconds. Garcia is quite the opposite of Hotch. She's... eccentric, to say the least. Her outfits are as elaborate as the sun, and her attitude is extremely contagious. While Garcia seems childish, she plays a crucial role in tracking down the sons of bitches that you all catch daily.

JJ has been your friend since day one. You both joined the BAU around the same time, so being the "newbies" together helped both of you deal with the new huge amount of responsibilities that come with this job. After-work drinks with her are lots of fun, even if you don't drink that much. Plus, little Henry is just too cute for this universe.

Even though she scares you a little, Emily Prentiss is still one of your closest friends at the BAU. She joined a little bit after you and JJ, and she turned out to be awesome at her job. Prentiss is a great friend all-around. She gives support to her fellow profilers and is just super fun to be around. If it weren't for Prentiss, you probably would have lost your sanity by now.

Derek Morgan brings just the right amount of humor to the group. Morgan never fails to put a smile on anyone's face, and the relationship he has with Garcia makes you double over in laughter. Morgan is also very talented with the ladies, and you aren't afraid to admit that he's good-looking. But he isn't as handsome as Spence.

Spencer Reid. Just the sheer mention of his name sent chills down your spine. Dr. Reid is the most intelligent person you know. Not only is his knowledge a gift, but his looks are another story. How someone can be gifted such intelligence and such good looks is beyond you, but it shocks you every time you take a gander at him. While you may be scared to admit it ever, you are in total love with Spence.

As you approach your desk, you notice a small basket full of something sitting there. Upon further inspection (and opening the basket), you notice that strawberries are piled high inside the basket. Around the basket was a note, tied to the basket with a ribbon. In simple print, little letters spelled out the words "Stay sweet." Regardless of who gifted these little fruits to you, it was a gesture kind enough to warm your heart and bring a smile to your face. Hunger seems to have approached at the right time, because you pop one in your mouth.

Your sweet moment of strawberry bliss was interrupted by Hotch calling everyone into his office. You're the first one in there, snacking on your strawberries in a basket.

JJ makes it in first, looking at you and your fruit. She chuckles a little at the sight before saying "Whoever got you those made a good choice on their fruit. Who got them for you?"

You gulp down the fruit, licking your lips to savor the flavor. "I don't know, actually. They were on my desk this morning," you answer as you grab another one and bite into it.

Rossi and Hotch don't mention anything about the strawberries as they enter the room, and Prentiss just gives you a little eyebrow-raise. However, the same cannot be said for Garcia, who almost freaks out about those strawberries.

Questions like "Who gave those to you?" and "How'd you get those?" are fired at you like bullets, one after the other, Garcia being the shooter. The same answer applied to each question: "I don't know." Let's just say that Garcia isn't satisfied with that answer.

When Spence walks in, his eyes dart straight towards you and your strawberries. He chuckles (which makes your heart swoon) and says "Technically, berries have seeds on the inside and they don't come from a single ovary. Since strawberries have all of the seeds on the outside and not the inside, strawberries are really in a group all on their own."

"That's interesting," I say as I take a bite out of another strawberry. "They're one of a kind, I guess."

"Yeah," Spence replies, looking intently at you, although his mind is seemingly elsewhere. "One of a kind."

Unfortunately, the light atmosphere of the room isn't maintained. Garcia stands and tells the group about an UnSub from Cheyenne, Wyoming whose MO was leaving love letters on the chest of the victims.

When that fact was mentioned, you could've sworn that you caught Spence looking at you for a split second.

The team mentions a few more speculations while sitting around the table. You even enter your own opinion on this UnSub, which you don't tend to do often. Of course, the chatter comes to an abrupt halt by your favorite saying: "Wheels up in twenty."

Everyone scatters to gather their things before hopping on the plane. You do the same, but make sure not to forget your strawberries.