Chapter 12

NEEDLESS TO SAY, KYLE was right. Sierra made time to go to the diner. She tried to play it off saying she didn't have much hard work to do, since she had tests coming and going, but the truth was she had the ability to make time for her friends, and herself. She didn't want to do it because she convinced herself she could only stay in her bubble until she finished everything, but she never did. It was an endless cycle, so there never was a good time in her mind to do anything, so she might as well try to go out every once in a while.

She sat criss-crossed on her bed, facing her large window, with her makeup products lying around her. She held up a tiny compact mirror, and stared at her face. The dark circles underneath her murky green eyes stared back at her tauntingly. Her lack of sleep demanded to be seen.

Fortunately, she was given instructions from the makeup expert, Aura Chandler, so she knew how to cover them up enough to not look like a walking corpse.

As she was about to moisturize her skin, her laptop rung with an upcoming FaceTime call. She shook her head at Milo's name and accepted the call.

"Hey," she started, dipping into her moisturizer. She rubbed the moisturizer all over her face wanting her dry skin to come back to life, even for a bit.

"Whoa, Sierra Jenkins actually getting ready," Milo said. "I'm shocked."

"Ha ha," she said dryly. "What's so wrong with looking a little decent? I haven't put any effort into my looks in so long."

"Oh, trust me, I know," he teased. Sierra gave him a side-eye before going back to covering her dark circles.

"How's everything, Milo? I haven't heard from you in a while."

"Oh, you know, working and working."

"Mhm, what happened to that girl that was flirting with you at Red's a couple of months ago?" She threw him a wink as he groaned.

"Dammit, Scar..." Sierra managed a laugh. "Nothing happened, alright. She wasn't my type."

"No one is your type." Sierra snorted.

"I can say the same to you...oh wait, now I can't. Aren't I gonna meet your lovey-dovey trainer?" He started making kissing noises. Sierra scoffed, but she couldn't stop the bright red blush from blossoming on her cheeks.

"Seriously, what's up with this guy?"

"He's just my trainer."

"Just a trainer doesn't get invited to Red's," he pointed out.

Sierra rolled her eyes. "We're friends. It isn't illegal to be friends with your trainer." She proceeded to blend in all the concealer under her eyes to block out the darkness. It still seeped through a little, but it was better than before.

"He better not hurt you or he's gonna get it," Milo scowled into the camera as if wanting to seem intimidating. Sierra chuckled remembering Kyle's size. Poor Milo didn't stand a chance.

"Yeah, yeah." She waved him off. "You working tonight?"

"Nope, I'm free and still going to my job," he ended on a grumble. Sierra laughed, finishing up applying mascara. "Seriously, we need to find a different spot. I'm sick of it."

"Never." Sierra giggled. "Nothing is better than Red's."

"I'm gonna be looking for a better spot for us from now on," he announced.

"If it's gonna take as long as you finding a girlfriend, we're always gonna be eating at Red's."

"I'm gonna hang up now," Milo complained. Sierra giggled and stared at his pouting face through her laptop screen.