Chapter 33

WHEN HER DOCTOR SAID she was free to go as long as all the paperwork was completed, Sierra almost jumped with glee. However, the tubes prevented her from doing so. Finally, she would go back home to her dingy apartment with terribly painted walls and chipped floors. She never thought she would miss that mess in her life, but there she was yearning to go back to her safe space and dive into her bed.

The irony.

Her father walked in with a smile lighting up his features. "Got the paperwork done. Some nurses are coming to get you out of all of...that." He motioned to all of her tubes, and she sighed.

She was so close to getting out of there.

"What's new?" Scarlet slipped in, sipping on a Starbucks iced coffee. Sierra rolled her eyes as she made herself comfortable on the tiny couch.

"I'm getting discharged in a few," Sierra said.

"No way!" Scarlet shot back up.

Her father shook his head at the two getting excited.

"We're just waiting for the nurse to come get these off." Sierra frowned down at her arms. They weren't as many tubes as when she first woke up, but that didn't mean she had any less discomfort. The only reason she was able to knock out at night and during the day was due to some of the heavy medication she was given. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to fall asleep with all of the uncomfortable tubes in her arm and stiff bed.

"I'm sure you're happy about that." Scarlet grinned down at her best friend.

"Duh. I want to get out of here. I hate hospitals."

"Not as much as me, that's for sure," she remarked. Sierra bit the inside of her cheek. The same way her friends couldn't understand her past financial struggles, she, herself, couldn't understand all the pain Scarlet went through practically living in hospitals for years.

"Granted," Sierra said, "but I really do hate hospitals. When is that nurse coming?"

Scarlet and her father chuckled as she pouted. Waiting was excruciating. She needed to get out of there and feel the wind on her hair and see the sky with her own eyes. Staying all cooped up in her hospital room was like a punishment. As if she was on a weird type of house arrest.

She wanted freedom.

"You know, even when you go back home, you still need to rest up. You are not allowed to do anything forcefully. You don't want to hurt yourself." Her father squeezed her leg comfortingly.

"Aw man, now I can't go lift boulders for fun." She pouted even more.

"Dumbass," Scarlet said.

"You're impossible," her father commented.

"Thanks, I got it from my mother."

Her father winced. Sierra wanted to take back her words.

Talking about her mother was a sore topic after her accident. Her father told her they separated, but he still needed to file for divorce. She had caused a tremendous scene when he broke it off. She accused him of using her. According to him, he simply gave her back his wedding band and walked away. After that, no one had heard of Sabrina Jenkins.

"Trust me, sweetheart, you are not like that woman." He shook his head and ran his hand through his hair.

"Alright, Jenkins, guess your dream is coming true today," her nurse said, walking in. Sierra smiled.

The poor nurse had gotten an earful from her. She complained about being stuck there without doing much. She was sick of the room, but it was the fact that she couldn't do anything that annoyed her more. She was an active person, and switching drastically to doing nothing took a toll on her. Her body was antsy to do something.