Chapter 32

SIERRA WAS SICK AND tired of the tubes coming out her arms. She had been conscious for a total of twenty-four hours, and she was already fed up with everything. She wanted to go back home and crash on her own bed instead.

After a nurse came in, wheeling in her breakfast, Kyle walked in wearing his gym shorts and tee. She rolled her eyes, knowing he was dropping by on his way to work.

"Hey," he greeted. "How are you feeling?"

"Get me out of here."

He laughed but made no attempt to break her out. She grouched, sulking in her bed like a toddler. In her head, she wanted Kyle to perform a nurse's job and take out all of her tubes. Then get her clothes that make her look like a random person rather than a patient. After that, they could sneak out of the hospital and she'd be free.

But no.

He just sat there.

How disrespectful.

"I'm gonna miss you at the gym," he said.

She rolled her eyes. "You don't have to miss me. Get me out of here."

"Sierra, you still need to stay here for observation. They need to know you'll be alright."

She pouted but said nothing else. It wasn't worth it to speak when she was stuck inside that boring room, surrounded by beeping machines and the smell of antiseptic. She felt bad for the people who had to stay there for months. She would've preferred to die.

"You know," Kyle started. "You really scared me there. I completely forgot about...the ten year anniversary."

Sierra let out a tiny gasp. She sat up straight, searching into his eyes for an answer before asking.

"Did you go?"

"I did," he pursed his lips, "for the last ten minutes." She winced. She had caused that. Because of her, he wasn't able to go spend time with his family and remember the life of his late sister. Even though he didn't want to go to begin with, it still would've been therapeutic to just go. Maybe he could've found a relief or even a release being with his family.

However, it never happened because of her.

She felt so bad.

"God, Kyle... I'm so sorry."

He shook his head. "I didn't want to go anyway. I went for those ten minutes and I couldn't even think of Emma. I was just thinking of you."

Sierra bit the inside of her cheek. Part of her was flustered at the thought of Kyle solely thinking of her rather than his late sister, but the other part was guilty because he only thought of her because she had knocked herself unconscious under his watch. How pathetic.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with this. The last thing I wanted was to make your life harder, especially on a day like that." She started playing with her own fingers, not wanting to make eye contact with him.

"Sierra, I wanted to apologize. I was so unfair to you. I got mad at you when it wasn't your fault at all. I just wanted to tell you on my own terms, but I guess everyone can find out so easily. I'm sorry."

She didn't know why, but she teared up. The wave of relief crashed onto her, almost shocking her.

"Um...I—"

"Ms. Jenkins, time for your Tylenol." Her nurse came into the room, interrupting the nonsense she was about to babble to Kyle. She swallowed her pathetic words and managed a smile. He gave her a cup with the familiar pills and another cup of water.

"Remember not to exert yourself, alright?" He looked between her and Kyle. Sierra blushed, but shook her head.

He left quickly, making sure to lather his hands in hand sanitizer before walking out. She warily swallowed her pills, not wanting to make eye contact with Kyle after that insinuation.

"I guess no cuddles for a while," he said, pouting.

She almost choked on her last pill, which started a small headache to brew. She groaned and laid back down after successfully swallowing her pill. He patted her shoulder, but had to try to cover up his laugh.

That bastard knew what he was doing.

"You suck," she managed. Her headache subsided, but it still bothered her. Kyle grinned at her, and took ahold of her hand. He traced circles on her skin using his thumb. She smiled, content.

"I have something to tell you," Kyle said, breaking the silence. She opened her eyes to see him biting his lower lip. "I think it's time for me to open up my own gym."

"Whoa, wait." She sat up on the bed. "Does that mean you're done with your masters?"

"Uh, no." He sheepishly scratched the back of his neck. "I was thinking of starting the whole process of getting a locale, getting the permits, and anything else I might need credential-wise. That way by the time I finish my masters, I could be pretty close to opening my gym."

She smiled. His face showed little to no emotion, but his eyes did all the talking. He was excited. That glint she grew to adore was there, warming her up from head to toe.

"Kyle," she practically sighed. "This makes me so happy right now."

"Yeah? I thought I was being crazy, but now letting it out, it makes so much more sense." He chuckled as a tiny blush adorned his cheeks.

She giggled, watching him flush.

"Anyway, I have to go. I have to go to work," he said, standing up. Sierra pouted, reaching her fingers over to his hand.

"Why do you have to go? It's not like I'm there to train."

He chuckled, interlacing their fingers together. She bit the inside of her cheek, liking the way it felt to have Kyle so close to her.

"There are other things I do, you know?"

She grumbled in response as he laughed.

"I'll come back later, okay?" He squeezed her hand as she nodded. He gave her one last smile before exiting her hospital room. She sighed and leaned back into her pillow.

Life was hard. It liked to knock you down and not allow you to get back up. But she was learning that she didn't have to get up alone. She wasn't fighting by herself, so she knew that eventually she'll be fine.

She was blessed, and with blessings came so much light that scared away the darkness.

********************

How does Chapter 32 make you feel?

This was also a late add-in to the story. A couple of the last chapters were added in the second or third drafts. I had so many ideas pop up after I finished the first draft, I couldn't not write them in.