Chapter 20

"FINALLY GOT OUT," KYLE said as he walked out of the front door. She leaned against her car, arms crossed. He unlocked his own car, a couple of feet away, and motioned for her to follow him.

"Where are we going?" She asked, but stayed put.

"Wherever you wanna go," he pointed to his car, and waited for her to do something. Instead, she opened her car and got in.

"I can't leave my car here, so we're gonna go to my place, unless you wanna go alone somewhere else," she said as she stopped her car beside him.

"You're impossible, I hope you know that."

"So I've been told," she sighed. "See you there, Kyle."

The drive to her apartment was uneventful, except when Kyle drove past her on the free-way, sticking out his tongue at her like an actual child. She watched him agape as he sped away. She tried to go faster behind him, but her car wasn't in any condition to speed too much.

In all honesty, her car wasn't in any condition to be out and about, but she drove around on a big prayer.

She parked her car right beside Kyle, who waited on her with a big smile.

"Hey, it's been a while hasn't it?" He asked all cheeky.

She said nothing and walked to her apartment, followed by him making sarcastic remarks. Normally, she'd get into insignificant arguments with him that meant nothing, teasing him, and one-upping him on the sarcasm, but that day she felt like shutting everyone out and passing out on her bed.

"Sierra," Kyle called. She turned to him, eyebrow raised. When he smiled down at her, she turned away and opened up her front door.

He really turned into someone else when he was with her alone.

"So where do you wanna go? Wanna get In n' Out?" He asked as she dumped her bag in one corner. She scratched her forehead. Frankly, she wanted to dive into her bed and never wake up.

"I'm not that hungry," she found herself saying.

"I doubt you'll feel that way when you see my food. Come on, you need to eat after a workout."

Sierra bit the inside of her cheek. She looked at his face for more than five seconds and felt her cheeks redden.

How did he do that to her?

"Um, okay," she breathed out. "I really don't feel like going out anywhere. I just want to stay here, if that's fine with you. Why don't you go get In n' Out while I shower?"

He seemed pleased with that answer. Within a few minutes, he was gone again and she could breathe normally. It wasn't like she was afraid of him, but there was something different when she was with him. She didn't understand it.

Her palms were sweaty. Her throat felt weird. Her stomach had weird butterflies for no apparent reason. Even her anxiety was rising.

There had to be a reason to why her defenses went up.

She was convinced it was because she was bad news for him. He was such a nice guy who didn't deserve to be dragged into her never-ending stream of problems. Yet, he found his way to slither into her life like a stinking worm.

God, he was annoying that way.

Why couldn't she just hate him and leave his life? She would switch trainers without remorse and never see him again. Well, maybe she'd have awkward encounters at the gym, but that was it. She wouldn't have to deal with his meddling ways.

Everything used to be so simple.

She sighed.

Life always laughed at her no matter what.