Curiosity Killed the Cat

I had a hard time getting up this morning. The same dream kept repeating itself. It might not have been the same dream over, and over again, but they always told me the same thing. I was screwed.

Hayley and I have to present our presentation today and I was far from ready.  I was currently in 3rd period listening to Mrs Rivera learning us about descriptive text. She was currently telling us that we need to write an essay in the concept of everyday life from a narrator or news article perspective.

This made the girl wonder what she was still doing in school. She had learned this back 'home' in the Netherlands. Isa thought about how her day had gone so far. Everything seemed to wrong lately, her bike had refused to work this morning, a boy named James tripped her the moment she set foot in the school, she was a minute late for her first class because of the boy and got detention from the grumpy teacher who seemed to have it out for her ever since her snarky remark. The girl had a feeling that the worst had yet to come, but this was probably just nerves talking. Only 30 minutes left and she had to present her project.

Just as the Narrator finishes his sentence the bell rings. I get up as fast as I can and get to my locker to get the project. Instead of heading to the cafeteria, I decided to sit outside against a tree. The feeling in my stomach was getting harder and harder to ignore. How was I going to stand in front of a whole class without getting one of my panic attacks?

I get my notebook out of my bag, knowing that my thoughts weren't going to help me right now. Instead, I decide to write them down to get them off my mind.

'Sorry if I might have made it seem like I am ok.
Because the truth is, I've barely been holding on.
But let me tell you the secrets that I keep.
I've been crying, crying myself to sleep.'

It's been a while since I wrote an original song. Nothing had helped ever since things started to fall apart. I tried and tried, but ended up with a blank page every time. What had changed?

Someone sits next to me just as I was about to write the Pre-Chorus. I quickly close my notebook and look up to see Hayley looking at me concerned. Instead of asking me if I'm alright, she just grabs my hand and starts making patterns in the palm of my hand.

The feeling of her hand in mine calms me down, all I can focus on is her touch. She always seems to know when I was anxious or about to have a panic attack.

We sit there in silence until the bell rings, signalling that lunch is over. We grab our bags and head towards the classroom. I notice the teacher wasn't here yet, so that would give us some time to set everything up.

The teacher walks in as I was setting up the projector. "Alright class, settle down." He yells as he walks over towards Hayley and me. "Today Isa and Hayley will be presenting their project." He grabs a paper from his desk and looks at it before he continues. "They have chosen Germany as their land of choice. I want everyone to be quiet while they speak. You'll be sent to the principal's office if I catch a single sound coming from anybody."

He looks around the class, when everyone stays quiet he turns towards us and gives us a nod.

Hayley walks towards me and leans in to whisper in my ear. "You got this, just remember to picture everyone in their underwear if it all gets too much." She takes her place in front of the class and gives me a smile before starting the presentation.

Hayley's P.O.V

Isa had been distant all day. I hadn't seen her before class and Cheryl told me she came to class late looking very tired. When she didn't show during lunch I decide to look for her alone. Audrey was hiding something from me and I was going to find out what she's been holding back from us. She knows she can tell us everything, we would never judge or make fun of her.