Running Out Of Breath

You can run, wear a mask and pretend you haven't been hurt.

You're not dealing with it if you pretend it never happened. You can try to lock the memories in the darkest corner of your mind, but eventually, something will bring it back out of that dark place. Memories can be locked up for quite a while but eventually, someone is going to mention something, or you're going to see something that will unlock the memories you've been trying to suppress for all this time.

You can run from the past all you want, but you're going to run out of breath, and when you do, the past will be breaking through your door without warning.

A week after finding Jax and Anna.

With the siblings with us, everything seemed to go better. We didn't have to sleep in the van for most of the time.

Anna took care of the meals, Jax gathered a crowd while Hayden and I took care of the rest. Jax had a hard time keeping his greedy hands in his own pockets, this got us in some few sticky situations but we always managed to get out of it somehow.

"Run." I hear Jax yell as I loaded our last equipment into the back of the van. I look behind me and see Jax sprinting towards us with a big grin on his face, not far behind him where 2 cops trying to keep up with the energetic young boy.

I quickly close the doors of the van and jump in the passenger seat next to Hayden. Soon after Jax jumps into his seat and slams the door shut. "Drive now!" He commands out of breath.

Hayden doesn't think twice and starts the van before speeding away. I turn around in my seat, staring at Jax trying to keep myself from strangling him. "Last warning Jax. I know you had to do what you had to do before, but you have to stop as long as you're with us." I try to lecture him but it'll probably go to on-ear and out the other.

"I swear I did nothing this time." He tries to defend himself. I shake my head at him before turning back in my seat.

"Last time Jax," I warn him one last time. Not long after I hear Anna and Jax arguing in the back.

"I swear to god I leave you behind," Anna says clearly upset with her brother.

"You won't." Jax throws back. "You looovveee me."

"Yes, I love you, but even love has its limits. I don't want to go back to the life we lived a week ago, so you're either going to behave, or I'll kick you out of this van personally." Jax mumbles something incoherent which leads to him getting a slap on the back of his head from his sister.

After his sister's lecture, Jax tried his best to stay out of trouble. He still had some encounters with people who were rude to us from time to time, but he didn't steal anymore. We didn't have to speed off and run from the police anymore, which was progress.

I started teaching them our songs a few weeks later. Jax had proven himself to be trustworthy and knows what would happen if he screwed up.

We were sitting around the campfire one night when Hayden and the siblings decided to make it a bonding moment.

"Let's play a game!" Jax shouted across the empty beach.

"What game?" Hayden asks sitting up, eager to know more. I roll my eyes at the two boys, I might not no them that long, but I know their games. I bet one of them is either ending up hurt or drunk.