The Job

A/N: There are frequent mentions of sex work and escorts throughout this story. There will be no explicit sexual content, but there will be sexual themes and suggestive elements. Please read at your own disclosure. Thanks!

"Y/N! Are you listening to me?"

You glanced up from the screen of your phone to see your roommate, hands on her hips, looking at you with irritation, her lips pulled into a pout.

"I'm sorry." You apologized, throwing your phone down on the bed beside you, as you gave her your full attention with a sweet smile. "What were you saying?"

"I asked you if I should wear the red or black heels tonight." Solar whined, holding up both shoe options in either hand for you to see.

"Definitely red." You waved a hand at the strappy pair of stilettos held in her right hand, before reaching for your phone again. "Always go red. I've never had a customer disappointed with red."

"You have a point." You heard her muse under her breath, turning to throw the black heels back into their place in her messy closet, before she sat down on her bed, pulling on the chosen shoes, one brow raised as she asked with slight annoyance, "Okay. What is so interesting on your phone that you're choosing to ignore your best friend for it?"

"Sorry." You winced, sliding your phone back into your pocket as you leaned back on the bed, letting out a long sigh. "Dahlia just sent me my schedule for tomorrow. Apparently, I've been booked for the whole day." At the inching upward of Solar's eyebrow, you protested, "There's no overnight listed, so calm yourself, okay?"

Solar huffed, and standing up, moved to her full length mirror, tugging at her short cocktail dress, as she replied over her shoulder, "Bitch, I'd give anything to have your schedule. What is it this time?" She ran a hand through her long blonde hair, appraising her bright red lipstick in her reflection. "Another day spent being some old man's bingo bunny at a retirement home? "

"I dunno." You flopped onto your back, looking up at the stained ceiling above your bed. "All the email said was that I was booked for the Girlfriend Package all day tomorrow, and gave me the address and time to be there. Nothing else."

"Well, whoever and whatever it is," Solar finished appraising herself, and was once again facing you, hands on her slender hips. "I'm sure it'll be better than what I'm doing tonight." She grimaced slightly, her pretty features pinching. "Or who I'm doing tonight."

"And just what are you doing tonight, Sol?" You asked, a hint of a smile on your lips as she slipped on her fur coat and grabbed her clutch, the one she always used, covered in large fake gems, which she claimed looked 'expensive.'

"Don't think I don't hear your sarcasm." She pointed a stern finger at you, one hand already on the door. "And if you have to know, I'm going to some banquet with some senator. He needs arm candy for his campaign. And then, I am doing an overnight-although the pool and the mansion will make up for the lackluster sex, I'm sure."

"All right. Be safe." You waved your hand, laughing under your breath, as she blew you a kiss and left the room, the door to the bedroom swinging shut behind her.

You sighed, more heavily this time, and once again pulled out your phone, only to spend the rest of the evening reading over that cryptic email again and again and again.

******

Standing in front of the large door, hand raised to knock, you took in another deep breath through your nose, glancing at your reflection in your pocket mirror one more time, just to make sure that your carefully applied lipstick was still in place.