The Questions

"Babe, are you sure you're all right to do this?" Solar asked once more, coming across the room to sit on the edge of your bed, watching you carefully as you leaned over and balanced to pull on one of your heels.

"Sol." You replied with a slightly exasperated laugh, straightening up to look pointedly at her, as you reached for your other shoe. "I'm fine. And besides." You fixed the other heel into place, moving to the mirror to do one last double take of your makeup and hair. "I now have hospital and funeral expenses to pay."

"I know, but," Your best friend sighed, standing up to move behind you, as she tucked away the tag of your dress into the neckline, before placing her manicured hands on your shoulders as she met your gaze in the mirror. "I'm sure your client wouldn't mind if I took your spot. And I'll give you the cash."

You paused, checking over your appearance once more in the mirror, trying to evade Solar's serious gaze, as you reached around her to grab your clutch off the bedside table.

"Solar." You finally met her eyes once more, and offering her a smile, you placed your hands on her shoulders, just like she had done moments ago with yours. "I'm fine. It's just dinner. Nothing more. I can handle this. You don't need to worry so much."

"But I will." Solar rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at you as you released her, making you laugh as you headed for the door.

"I don't think I'll be late, but don't wait up!" You called out to her, as you gave her a little wave from the doorway, before leaving the room, ignoring her warning gaze.

Entering the common room of the apartment building, a familiar voice called out from the other side of the room, "Bitch! You're going out??"

You glanced over and grinned as you caught sight of Hobi, sprawled on one of the couches in the empty room, phone dangling from his long fingers, as he shot you a look of disbelief over the brightly lit screen.

"Yeah." You crossed the room to him, leaning down to press a kiss to his cheek, as you said, "It's just dinner. Not too hard."

Hobi sat up, observing you from head to toe with a critical eye, as he tugged at the edge of his cropped sweatshirt, and you noted briefly that his nails were painted a bright neon green tonight.

"The hot doctor?" Hobi flashed you a mischievous grin, raising an eyebrow in your direction.

"Sadly, no." You laughed at his look of crestfallen disappointment. "It's someone new. Dahlia didn't give me many details." You glanced down at the screen of Hobi's phone to note the time. "It's a dinner date. And I'm going to be late."

You leaned over once more, and the two of you smacked lips on each other's cheeks, Hobi's favorite way of greeting, and giving him a little wave, you headed for the stairs once more, as you called back to him, "Don't get into trouble while I'm gone!"

Hobi scoffed, already collapsing back onto the couch with his phone, as he waved green fingers in your direction in a dismissal motion. "Please. Trouble's my middle name."

******

"I'm sorry I'm late! Traffic was awful and the map to this place was off and...." You sat down at the table as the waiter offered you your chair, not looking across to your unknown date, as you frantically stuffed your keys and phone into your clutch, hoping to gain your composure and still make a good impression, even though you were now over ten minutes late.

Brushing hair from your eyes, you finally managed to plaster a smile onto your lips, and glancing up, more apologies dropped from your lips, "Once again, I'm so sorry..."