❨01❩

♀︎

Tapping my pen repeatedly against the table, I watch the thick droplets of water streaming down the window. They are having their own little race and I find myself rooting for the smallest drop. After a second it morphs into the bigger one though and a bubble of disappointment washes over me, well that sucks. The weather is as insane as always here in Hetdale, but I love the rain and it makes for a great distraction while sitting in class.

A cold hand lands on mine, effectively cutting off my annoying action. Looking at my best friend I give her a sheepish nod, "Sorry, Dani."

"Mr. Tristy has been giving you the death glare like five times now," She laughs her blue eyes glinting, "Just a friendly reminder before he cuts off your head."

I sigh, "I just hate going back to school after Christmas break, it feels worse for some reason."

Dani smiles at me, trying to hide the pity in her stare, "I know, Kota. Let's enjoy the last semester together." Nodding at her, I support my head on my hand while trying to focus on what our old and grumpy math teacher is saying today, anything other than Dani looking at me like that at least. 

His lips are moving, but my mind is not focusing on his words. Straining my eyes I desperately try to zone in on him, but no, my body isn't cooperating. A groan leaves my lips as I slam my head on the table. 

"Ms. Moore, is this class a bore to you?" His annoying voice finally cuts through as I raise my head and meet his angry eyes. 

"I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the class."

"Then what is the issue?"

You.

"Absolutely nothing, I just hit my head," I lie.

He smiles in self satisfaction and I mentally gag, "Slamming your head on the table does that to you, now keep up or I won't hesitate to throw you out."

Please do.

I glare at the back of his head when he turns around again. Him and I have been at each other's throats all senior year and I am gonna blow a fuse soon enough, it is pure torture to have a teacher horny for power. Mr. Tristy is exactly that

"Just breathe, Dakota," Dani says, clearly humored, "Class is over soo-"

She doesn't get to finish her sentence before the bell chimes obnoxiously and I shoot out of my seat. I can hear her follow me as I bolt out of the door, so I ease up on my steps and let her catch up. She finally reaches my side, clutching our books to her chest and raising an eyebrow at me.

"It's gonna be a long semester if you will act like this every time we have him."

I shrug my shoulders, "Do you want me to mention Karen from middle school? I suffered through your hatred for her as well, now it is payback."

She dramatically flips her long brown hair over her shoulder, "Fine, you have me there."

"Are you ready to eat? Because I'm starving."

She nods and throws both our books in her locker, before grabbing my hand and all but running to the cafeteria. She towers over me with her 6'0 frame, making my smaller legs fight to keep up with the strides. Dani is the girl every guy wants, her long legs and small waist along with her brown hair and ocean eyes, I can't blame them.

And then there's me, 5'6 with a curvier frame and grey eyes, I am no match to the goddess on legs. She never makes me feel bad about anything though, we have been friends for so many years and she always praises me for my eyes or my soft hair. I have nothing bad to say about her, which is why we get along so well. Both of us hate drama and gossip, so we just stay away from it entirely. 

The cafeteria is buzzing with conversation when we enter, everyone trying to catch up after Christmas break. I try not to roll my eyes as I see the bitches of our school gushing over the diamond watches they were gifted with over the holidays. 

My dad never spoiled me like that and I appreciate him for it. He allowed me to learn for myself and get some bruises along the way, exactly like I wanted it. The thought of him fighting for life in the hospital brings a dark cloud over my mood, it has been a month since we got the horrific news and I haven't been able to breathe properly ever since. Dani is the only one I told. 

"They are serving pizza, Kota!" Dani screams in delight, I smirk slightly at her excitement, she really is a nice distraction. They are insane at making pizzas here and when it's on the menu, Dani and I always go crazy. 

Grabbing four slices, I smirk at the scowling lady behind the counter, "It is not easy during that time of the month, you would probably know, right Gretha?"

Her scowls deepens, if possible, it's an extreme sport to look so mad. Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me. Dani and I pay for our excessive amount of pizzas, as my best friend roughly tugs me away from Gretha, not before I manage to give her a small wink though. I can't help but raise an eyebrow at my embarrassed friend, "She has no right to judge, Dani."

"I get it," She sighs, "But you know how I hate pathetic altercations, and she's definitely not worth it."

I sit down at a free table, she plops down in front of me, "You're right, but I am protective."

Dani laughs, "That is the worst excuse I have ever heard."

"Thanks, appreciate it." 

A person sits down next to me and I barely manage to see who it is, before a chirpy greeting falls from her lips. "Hey, guys. What are you doing?" Our friend, Relly, asks. 

I nod at her when she tugs her blonde hair into a sloppy bun, "Just being discriminated for eating pizza, and you?"

"No," Dani cuts in with a smirk, "Just Dakota acting up against every person with a slight power over her."

"Hey!" I exclaim, "The cafeteria lady has no power over me."

"Now if you two are done, I would like to announce something," Relly says, cutting off me and Dani's arguing. 

"Do tell," I fake interest. 

"Party on Friday at mine!"

Dani smirks as I shrug my shoulders, "When isn't there a party at yours, Relly?"

"Never! Now you both will come or I have to throw hands."

I groan at her, but Dani agrees for the both of us before I have a say in it. Relly leaves us again and I frown at my best friend, "Why?"

She gives me a playful glare, "Because both of us deserve it, Kota."