❨03❩

♀︎

Meeting a very excited Relly at my locker the next day, I nod at her and put in my combo, the locker finally opening after a little struggle. Well, nothing is out of the usual then. "Good morning, Relly. Will you willingly tell me why you are tripping, or do I have to squeeze it out of you?"

She tugs at the ends of her hair as she suspiciously observes the hallway, her blue eyes meet mine and they are as intense as I have ever seen them before. My bet is some news on her party, but that's just a thought. It is funny seeing her so jumpy though, "Relly?"

"Fine, I will tell you!" She suddenly explodes, "You know about the new guy, right?"

"The new guy?" I question with a small frown. 

Scowling at me, she almost seems offended by my lack of knowledge, "The new guy! Come on, Kota, are you living under a rock?"

"No, and my freckles aren't small rocks that I've been hiding under for my entire life."

"That was a one time joke, you know I adore your freckles," She laughs, "But back to the topic at hand, there is a new guy at our school, his first day was yesterday and I managed to catch him buying wok in the cafeteria. After a little convincing, he agreed to join the party!"

I raise an eyebrow and clutch my books to my chest before I shut the locker, "Now why is that of literally any interest?"

"Because he is hot, Dakota! Do not be such a downer, you should really see him. He has these amazing green eyes, it's like staring at grass, literal grass! And don't even get me started on his ruffled brown hair, it's like he tries, but not really, you know? Disheveled to perfection!" Her screams aren't needed this early in the morning and I take a long sip of my coffee.

"I wonder if having grass eyes is even a compliment.." I trail off, walking towards the first class of the day and leaving Relly alone with a wave of my hand. Sometimes she's too much, especially in the mornings, which is why I tend to avoid her at all cost until right before lunch. 

Stepping into class I quickly realize I am the first one here. That is a rarity, but you won't hear me complaining. It gives me the opportunity to slip into the seat in the back, not worrying whether anyone else was here before me or not. Throwing my bag on the floor, I take a long sip of my warm coffee, looking out at the heavy rain falling down outside. It doesn't ever stop raining in Hetdale, but I love the rain, so it doesn't concern me. 

A group of jocks enter the room, pushing and laughing at each other. They never go unnoticed and my eyes roll deeply before I have the chance to stop myself. They sit down on the row next to me. Suddenly it is hard to breathe by the heavy smell of cologne in the air and I try not to gag, this is not the chill morning I had hoped for. 

"Hey, Dakota," One of them, Smith, smirks at me, his dimples appearing. This is exactly what I hate about this group, they are conceited and annoying, the literal epitome of douchebags. It is quite surprising that they truly believe they are that irresistible.  

Tilting my head to the side I stare into his eyes, "Yeah, no."

I might seem rude, but with everything going on in my life I really do not want to stir anything with the jocks. Especially not when I will be attending the party this Friday, knowing they will be there too. It is annoying as fuck that they even try talking to me, pure torture and completely unnecessary, they should know by now that I never take the bait. 

Caspar, the one closest to me and the worst one in the group, throws his arm over my shoulder. The action seemingly innocent, but his eyes convey an entirely different story. He leans closer, "You're coming Friday, aren't you?"

Peeling his hands off me with a disgusted finger, I drop his hand in his lap, "None of your business, Caspar."

He smirks, showing me his pearly whites, "So she speaks!"

"She also throws hands, now let me be."

"Not a very good idea threatening a star athlete, you know?" He whispers, but his teammates hear it as they laugh. Smith and Caspar are the worst of the bunch, the three others I struggle to remember their names, according to Dani, the red head is Leo, the brown haired dude with ocean eyes is Xander and the last one with blonde hair and brown eyes must be Tyler Avick. I only know this because she had a crush on Tyler in middle school, for some reason I have never talked to him, not that I feel like it either way.

I smirk at Caspar as his eyes widen, "I don't see a star athlete around here, now back the hell away."

"We will be seeing you Friday after all," He raises an eyebrow trying to be seductive, his attitude is disgusting.

"That really did not have the effect you were aiming for," I tut at him, "And for the record, you do not call the shots. We won't be seeing each other."

"Oh, but I will be looking for the sexy freckles."

"I have a better idea, why don't you look for the girl with a fist down your throat the minute you say anything stupid?"

His eyebrows shoot up in surprise, "Violent? I like it like that."

"Arrogant? I hate that."

He finally shuts his big mouth as the teacher comes sprinting into class, all the students have suddenly appeared and have been watching our arguing, typical of me to ignore the entire room while being annoyed to this extent. 

That's just great, my eyes roll on instinct. I am so fucking sick of the people in this school, all of them are horny for attention and do not understand how some of us like to live in the shadows. Caspar constantly bugs me, because he wants a reaction and unfortunately, I gave it to him.