❨10❩

♀︎

"Dakota!" A loud voice booms through the locker rooms, Relly storms in my direction, "What is it I hear about you trying to sneak out of practice? Cheer is not a sport where you give when you want to, I expect to see the utmost motivation from you during this practice."

I wink at her as I get dressed in black shorts tights and a loose sweatshirt, "I had to take my shot at getting out of it, you know. At least Ashley got to me before I really had a chance to run."

Relly can't help but laugh at me, she has to be strict since she is the cheer captain and all, but I am her friend so she cannot keep the mask for too long. "Fine, I will give you that. The next question though, why are you not wearing your uniform?"

Tying the laces of my red Nike, I shrug my shoulders, "I would much rather be comfy, but I promise to wear it next time."

"Pinky?" She asks, offering me her little finger. 

Latching my little finger to hers I smile, "Pinky."

I do not get a second more of her attention before she is screaming orders to the squad, there are 20 of us in here since Relly is coaching the newest cheer captain for once we graduate. It's entertaining seeing her like this, so passionate about a sport, maybe volunteering won't be so bad after all. 

Oh, who am I trying to fool? It will suck ass, but at least I get to spend time with my best friends. 

All girls run out of the room, the pep in their step is a complete contradiction to how Dani and I are dragging our feet. Both of us realizing this at the same time, we burst out laughing following the group to the field behind our school. This is where the biggest games are played and of course where we practice.

"I literally have no bone in my body that condones my choice of dancing in front of the entire school," I whisper to Dani when we are being positioned. Luckily for us, Relly guides us to the back of the group. A relieved sigh leaving my lips. 

Dani laughs, "Nope, I don't either. Hopefully, the team can pull it off and make us seem less stupid."

"If they look amazing, we will only look even worse."

"Shit, you're right."

An annoying whistle disturbs our conversation and effectively bursts my eardrum, "Gather around, girls!"

Feeling like a puppy I follow the group and stand as a part of a big circle, all the girls are gorgeous in their uniforms and I try not to stare too much. I am a horrible observer, I stare until it clicks in my mind that people actually get offended by it. So I have to remind myself constantly not to stare because it's rude like my dad would say. He stares more than anyone though, so he has nothing on me. 

"For this semester we have the biggest game right before finals, it's the last shot the seniors have of beating our rival schools, so we have to bring our A-game! Now, we are so lucky to have been gifted with two new girls, Dakota on the right and Daniella on the left, both of them are as weird as us, so no worries," She smirks winking at us, I can not help but laugh before meeting their stares with a smile. 

"And!" She continues, "I have decided, along with the new captain, Brittney, that we are switching things up a bit. Will you tell them, Britt?"

"Sure thing," A brunette steps forward, her small frame is humorous compared to Relly's taller one, but I refrain myself from showing the humor on my face. "The newly added flair to Hetdale's cheer team is during the biggest show at the official last game of the season, we are not only cheering with letters, we are performing an entire show with the biggest hits and the style of our performance will be street. And of course, the mascot will be joining us."

All the girls scream in excitement, except for Dani and I, we are frantically searching each other's eyes before looking at Relly in horror. This cannot be true, here I thought it would be a chill and laid back performance, why do they have to add 'flair'? Who even likes flair? Surely not me!

"I officially declare us as fucked, my friend," She says to me, while we take our original positions in the back. 

"You do know that we will be the laughing stock of our school, right?" I whine.

She nods and starts stretching like Relly and Britt guide us to, I try to spread my legs and for some reason, the wind is terrible right now. I tip forward but manage to catch myself before falling flat on my face, this is not going to end well for us.

"Kota, you're too clumsy for this. Ten bucks you will end up hurting yourself somehow," Dani bargains. 

"I won't make the deal, because we are in an agreement. Although I do believe you will hurt yourself before I do."

Dani raises her eyebrow in a challenge, "Is that a bet?"

Smirking at her I offer my hand and she grabs it, "Oh, you are so on!"

For the rest of the class, Dani and I barely get a chance to chat. We are bossed around and thrown into the air to learn how to 'trust', how the heck I would trust someone from them not catching my ass, I will never know. But rule one in cheerleading, never question the captain. This is why I complete my trust falls with little to no complaining, only in my mind of course. 

Relly is amazing at everything she does, her hips are popping to the beat as she teaches us the first steps of our complicated performance. The thrusts and sexual dips are a lot for my mind to get the hang of right now, my body won't cooperate, but I refuse to give up. At least we now know the school will get a show for their money, whether that being me making a fool out of myself, or that being a bunch of girls barely dressed dancing very suggestively. This is what I will be showing the entire school in a few months, I cannot wait for this to be over.