22.

Loki rubs Nina's back, the two of sat in the huge dining room, surrounded by Jotun. He hasn't slept. Too busy trying to plot and plan and figure out a way to get Nina out of here and back home. His eyes scan around the room, he's been more alert since they arrived back, especially with the glare Býleistr is sending his way with every glance. His mother is no better but her eyes are on Nina and Loki doesn't like that one bit. It's too predatory. Now Loki's always on edge. Always afraid something is going to happen, and it's not even that he's afraid something will happen to him, he doesn't care, it's Nina he's scared for. He doesn't want her to die on his watch. She means too much to him. There is a rumbling, like thunder, and it takes Loki a moment to realise why it sounds like thunder. Because it is thunder. And it is familiar thunder. There is a cracking at the far wall that draws his eyes and he tightens his hand around Nina before it happens. Loki pulls Nina down, covering her as the entire wall explodes inward, ice spraying across the room. Nina covers her head with her hands and screams a little. Loki whispers softly in her ear, trying to reassure her. When it settles, when the whole room falls silent, Loki lifts his head as Thor touches down with a thud. Behind him, Steve, Bucky, and Tony appear, and followed still by Clint, Wanda, Sharon, and Pietro, each of them covered and clothed for the cold weather. Loki is sure there are more of them lurking, waiting, hiding, he knows that there are rather a lot of Avengers now. Loki lets out a breath and helps Nina up so she can see that her brother has come for her, she lets out a small laugh and shares a look with Loki, he nods and touches her cheek. Tony moves to Thor's side as Bucky looks around for Nina, Loki nods to his side and Bucky relaxes seeing Nina with him. Bucky nods back at him in thanks.

"Wanna see what this can do?" Tony asks the Jotun with a smirk, he wiggles the gun in his hand. "I happen to think it is some of my best work" he holds out the gun and pulls the trigger, fire erupts from the end setting the jotun in front of him on fire, the jotun screams in agony.

"Now!" Bucky yells, Nina jumps up and then erupts into flames before she charges forward. Loki watches her go, a smile on his face. Turns out. He didn't need his plan. One was already in place. Loki pushes himself to his feet and produces a dagger so he can join the fight.

...............

It works. Tony's weapons. Nina's flames. It is easy to fight of the jotun that fight, though there aren't many that followed Býleistr commands when he gave the order to fight back, in fact, most looked to Loki for their orders and many of the wives shield the children from the fight. The Avengers understand those that are fighting and those that are fleeing and hiding. And then it is silent. So deadly silent, except for the crackling of burnt Jotun skin and the cracking of the ice palace. Bucky huffs out a heavy breath and then realizes. His eyes seek out Nina, she pulls back her flames as she looks at him too. Bucky runs straight for Nina. She clings to him, her arms tight around his neck, his own just as tight around her back as he holds her to him.

"What are you doing here?" Loki asks Thor as he approaches him, Thor glances at Nina as she pulls back from Bucky.

"I called them" Nina admits, Loki turns to her. "When we got back to the palace, I noticed how...worried you were. Edwayen told me that things would change, that it would become more dangerous..." she gives him a sad smile. "It was now or never" they share a look, both now unsure about what will happen to them when they go to Earth. It worked for them whilst here, with no outside influence, but back on Earth, Thor, Steve, Bucky, all of them will have an opinion, and Nina is Bucky's sister, Steve's other best friend, they're not going to approve of Loki or his feelings towards her. Edwayen clears her throat and Loki turns to her, she smiles softly and pulls her hand from behind her back revealing that she holds the Jotun crown. 

"You were chosen," Edwayen tells Loki as she holds out the crown. "King Loki of Jotunheim" she sets the crown onto his head and steps back from him, Loki reaches up to touch the crown, but this win doesn't feel like a win. If he stays here....he will lose Nina. Once upon a time, he would do anything for a crown, but now, now he wants something real, something better. He wants her. Loki takes a breath and looks at Edwayen, then at Nina and the Avengers. He knows where he belongs. And it is not on the throne. He gives Nina a smile and turns back to look at the court.

"I denounce my position" he admits. "And chose my successor" he steps down the steps into the crowd. Whispers begin to spread. Even Thor looks surprised. Loki finds his target and smiles. "Mairead" he whispers as he crouches in front of her as he pulls off the crown to hold in his hand. He smiles warmly at her. "Princess of Jotunheim" he sets the crown on her head. "To be guided by Elder Edwayen until she comes of age whereupon which she will be crowned Queen of Jotunheim" Edwayen approaches Loki who watches Mairead run to Nina who crouches to talk to her.

"Are you sure about this?" Edwayen asks Loki who nods.

"Yes, my place isn't here," He tells her. "It's with her" he whispers, Edwayen doesn't need to ask who he means. "Mairead will make a good queen one day with you raising and guiding her into the role...I have no doubt I am leaving Jotunheim in the right hands"

"What about Gonseyt?" Edwayen asks him as they both stare at her, Loki shrugs.

"Do what you want with her" He answers. Edwayen looks at him surprised. "She broke Jotun laws, it is up to the Jotun Elders to punish her" He explains. "If you chose to let her live though, make sure she cannot get to Midgard"

"I will" Edwayen assures him. "Look after your mortal" She adds, Loki nods, he has every intention of looking after Nina, in whatever capacity that will end up being.