23.

Nina lays awake in her bed back on Earth. She hasn't been able to sleep at all since they returned two days ago. She's barely left her apartment other than to eat and talk to Steve about Jotunheim. They want to know everything that happened with Loki. But she's not sure she wants to tell them everything. Steve knows she is holding something back but he hasn't been pushing her on it. As for Loki. She has barely seen him since. Thor keeping his brother busy. Steve going through the same questions with him. Both of them readjusting to being apart after so long together. But she can't sleep alone now. So used to Loki being right there at her side that the bed feels too empty, that she feels too hot. And for the first time ever, she hates the heat. She sits up and moves to the window to look out over the Avenger facility grounds beyond. It's dark, so all the detail is hidden but the moon shines down on the lake. A figure shifts at the lake edge and Nina finds herself smiling. She's not the only one that can't sleep it seems. With the moonlight above him, it gives Loki a new light. A softness. A mysticism. A beauty.

...........

Loki is the figure at the lake, dressed in Earth clothing and staring out as the water ripples slightly. He can feel Nina before he hears her. He tilts his head slightly to watch her approach him where he stands.

"What are you doing out here?" she asks, Loki turns to face her and smiles softly.

"I couldn't sleep" he holds out his hand back to her and she moves closer to him, threads her fingers with his. He pulls her closer to him. "What about you?" he asks her.

"Same" she whispers. "I couldn't sleep....feels weird" she admits. "Being alone" he hums a little and smiles down at her.

"Yes" he agrees warmly, she leans into his side, his arm wrapping around her shoulders. "I got used to you being there" he adds, she smiles and nods in agreement. That is why she has had trouble sleeping, Loki has not been at her side. She has felt lonely. It is such a change to how she felt before leaving Earth. She didn't want to be around people. Didn't want to touch anyone. Barely wanted to talk to them. And along comes Loki. Who changes everything. He plays with her hair a little and leans closer to kiss her head. "I have missed you" he admits quietly. "We spent so much time together on Jotunheim that...being apart....now...I do not like it" he squeezes her shoulder and smiles softly at her.

"Yeah" she whispers in agreement as she wraps her arm around his back. He relaxes under her touch. He was afraid about how things would change being back. That that bubble of feelings they'd felt when stuck together would pop. But it hasn't. He still feels the same for her. "Walk with me?" he asks reaching down to hold her hand again, she nods and the two of them begin to stroll around the lake together, something so peaceful. In the moonlight. The sounds of nature around them. It's something a little magical. Something so unlike Earth. "I wasn't sure how things would go when we came back" he tells her as they walk together, her hand held tightly in his. "There are people here that will have opinions...." he takes a deep breath. "I am not a good man, Nina" he admits, she frowns at him. "Things I have done.....pain I have caused all in pursuit of a crown" she stops him.

"Loki" she scolds, he huffs a little and looks down at her. "You were given your crown" she reminds him. "But you gave it to Mairead. If you wanted a crown so bad, why would you do that?" he stares at her, his fingers coming up to touch her cheek.

"For you" he admits, she tilts her head in question, leaning into his hand. "I did it to be here with you" he cups her cheek and leans closer to kiss her. She clutches to his hand and his jacket as she kisses him back.

..............

Loki and Nina lay on the grass on the compound looking up at the stars above them, his arms around her waist. It's quiet. But it is their moment before they have to go back inside. Before tomorrow comes and things will likely change again. Reality will crash back down. So they will take the time now. They will take this moment together. He brushes her hair back from her face before pulling her closer, his lips meeting hers. He will take this moment to be here. To be with her. To enjoy it before they have to return to their rooms.

.............

Loki lets out a breath as he flops down onto his bed, he is tired, but how can he sleep without that mortal curled into his side. He looks at the empty side of the bed and draws his fingers over the cold bedding. It is impossible. He sits up again and pulls his legs closer to cross them, his fingers picking up a book from the bedside table. The last two nights he has found that not sleeping leads to reading. And it takes his mind off of everything. His only escape from the feelings and conflict inside of him.