Chapter 8 ~ Lost Souls

Chapter 8: Lost Souls
~

By the time the hunters returned, I could name every item in Sol's box and what it was for. He was going to have me attempt to make ink by myself, with his supervision. Only a small part of me was annoyed with how much I'd enjoyed myself. I liked learning something new.

The Beta looked surprised when he found me sitting with Sol pouring over the contents. My smile fell a little at how relieved I felt to see him. Why was I happy to see the male that had kept me captive?

"Has she behaved?" he asked Sol, studying me.

"She has, very well. I'm going to teach her to tattoo. Maybe one day she'll be adding another to your skin," Sol replied. He turned the box back to him and began to pack everything away, sliding it back under the table. "Alpha Jakkon wants to speak to you about an incident that happened while you were gone."

My head lowered as I remembered how much some of the pack wanted me gone. It shouldn't have bothered me, I didn't want to be here either, but for some reason it hurt. Rejection was something I should have been good at facing.

"I thought you said she behaved," Bjarke said warily, fixing me with a stern look.

I dared to glare up at him for his assumption, my voice coming out a growl, "Would you believe me if I said I was innocent of any wrong doing?"

He stared at me for a while longer before nodding slowly, bowing his head in apology. I folded my arms, irritation making my skin prickle. I wanted to shift into fur and rage at whatever was closest until I felt better. This male had ruined my good mood.

"What happened then?" He inquired, turning to face Sol.

The old male sat back and jerked his head towards the pack. "Hagan and a few other thought without you to protect her, they might run her off."

The Beta stiffened, his eyes flashing from their usual warm brown to that odd, almost red colour. His fury tumbled off him in waves that beat against me and riled up my wolf.

"I need those herbs," I grumbled, sure I was seconds away from losing control.

"No you don't. I'm going to speak to Jakkon. Stay here until I come back for you." He turned on his heel and marched off, leaving me trembling at the table.

Of course he'd know I was lying and simply looking for the escape the herbs would give me. It was as if he could read my thoughts, he knew how I was feeling before I did. I watched the way he walked with his head held high towards his Alpha and the wolves that awaited his judgement cowered away.

"What will he do to those wolves?" I whispered, sensing his fury even from where I sat.

Sol looked over too, tipping his head as if trying to hear what was being said. "They dared to try and harm you. He'll show them how he defends what's his."

"I'm not his," I rebuffed sharply.

"A slip of the tongue," he excused with a wave of his hand. "He's been charged with your care is all I mean and they've challenged him by trying to get to you."

I shook my head and turned my attention back to the Beta. Was that how they all saw me? As belonging to him? A gift, or curse rather, given to their Beta.

The Alpha was speaking to him now and though I could only see his back, I knew he was growing ever more angry. Muscles were tensed and when Alpha Jakkon finished speaking, he shifted into his fur.

Turning away, I felt queasy with the smell of violence in the air. I didn't want to see or hear the lesson being taught. The bench creaked as Sol stood, staff in one hand, the other held out for me.