Chapter 28 ~ Fate

Trigger Warning

Chapter 28: Fate
~

The snow reflected so much of the sun it was almost blinding but I didn't feel the cold. Trailing further into the forest, basket hanging off my arm, I kept my eyes peeled for the bright red berries. I stopped to pick them, my swollen belly making it hard to lean down and get what I needed.

Crouching in the snow, I decided to try one and smiled at the sweetness of it on my tongue. Everything was calm, serene, nothing making a sound. I looked up at the sky, closing my eyes to soak in the sun.

A branch snapped behind me and I whipped around to see a huge wolf. Drool dribbled from its mouth, sharp fangs bared as the beast growled.

Valdis.

He'd found me.

I screamed for help and the sound bounced around but there was no one to hear it. Valdis crept closer as I scrambled back, kicking up snow in a flurry of white. I held my hands up in front of my belly, desperate to save the pup I could feel kicking.

The wolf pounced and I screamed again in fear. There was nothing I could do to save myself. Sharp fangs tore easily through my dress and buried themselves in the flesh of my belly. I gripped at fur, trying to tear Valdis from me but it was useless. Blood sprayed out in violent red, covering the snow that steamed under the heat.

I felt the very moment my pup began to die, more blood spilling out from between my thighs. The world began to dim and swirl around. I screamed again in grief, my body on fire with the agony that raced through my veins.

***

The hand rubbing my back did little to help as I gripped the side of the bucket outside. My head pounded so hard I was sure it was going to explode and then my stomach was squeezing again and I heaved once more, only there was nothing left in my stomach. 

"This isn't normal, Freydis. You've never been sick this bad before," Bjarke fretted, keeping my hair away from my face as he continued to rub my back.

I didn't have the heart to tell him what I'd seen, that I didn't think this was just because of morning sickness. My dream had woken me up with such panic that it had taken my mate the better part of an hour to calm me down. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see Valdis covered in the blood of my pup and my body reacted. No matter how many times I told myself it was only a dream, I couldn't shake it.

Trembling, I sat back and wiped my mouth with the sleeve of my dress with no care how disgusting that might have been.

"I feel better now," I lied, leaning back against him.

He hummed and I knew he knew I was simply trying to ease his worry. He rubbed up and down my arm then reached out to touch my bump. I reacted instinctively, snarling and shoving his hand away as I clambered to my feet and stumbled away.

Hurt flickered through the bond and Bjarke slumped back on his knees with a frown, hand still hanging in the air.

"I'm sorry," I rushed, reaching out to cup his cheek but he stood and turned away. Now it was my turn to feel hurt.

"It's fine. You're feeling protective, and I'm not his father," he said, his voice too calm for my liking.

I flinched, feeling tears brim again. "Don't say that."