Chapter 20 ~ A Story

Chapter 20: A Story
~

Lies. It had to be lies. More manipulation on a scale I hadn't comprehended, but it wasn't. Deep down in my soul, I knew what he'd said was true. And those closest to me had known. I suspected Signy had known from the very night she sat and asked me questions in return for food. That had been why she'd fought with her mate, he hadn't believed her. What had made him change his mind?

Frowning, my fingers brushed over my upper arm. The scar was hidden now by the sleeve of my dress but the Alpha had seen it. And I'd seen his reaction. I should have known then. I should have at least have begun to put the pieces together but I'd been so blind. He knew how I got this scar even while I couldn't remember a thing.

"You fell from the tree you watch the pups climb up when you were no more than three. A branch caught your arm on the way down. I'd know the shape of that scar anywhere," Alpha Jakkon spoke from behind me but I didn't turn to face him. I was still staring at the face of the male who claimed to be my brother.

"I don't remember that," I snapped, rubbing at my throbbing head.

"No," he agreed. "But it's true. You are my pup, there's no denying it any longer. You know this too, though you're fighting it."

My jaw clenched but I fought the urge to do just that, deny it. The words were on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get them out, my body wouldn't let me lie to myself anymore. Orin watched me struggle with sympathy in his eyes and Bjarke began to rub my back in slow circles to sooth down my hackles.

Orin reached out to brush his fingers over my face as if making sure I was real. "I looked for you for years. Long after everyone accepted you were gone, I kept looking for you. You're my little sister, I was supposed to protect you and I didn't. I lost you, but I was determined to find you if it killed me."

"But then you gave up too," I hissed before moving out of reach of my mate. "You knew too, Beta?"

He swallowed then nodded slowly, and everything holding me together crumbled at that betrayal. He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off with a growl.

"I don't want to hear anymore! Don't come near me, any of you!" The venom in my voice made both Orin and Bjarke step back.

At least they respected me enough to do as I asked. Why hadn't they told me all of this? Were they planning to ever tell me? Or if I hadn't overheard them, if I hadn't recognised Orin, would they have kept it a secret forever?

Glancing over my shoulder, Jakkon was holding Signy in his arms. She'd stopped crying but her eyes were red rimmed and swollen, pleading with me to listen.

She reached out a hand for me, her fingers trembling. "Frey-"

"No," I interrupted, closing my eyes and taking another few steps away from them all. "You're all liars. Secret keepers. And I wish to be left alone, I need to think."

I didn't run, but I did walk away, my legs threatening to give way. The wind blew louder, as if trying to push me back to the wolves who believed they were my family, my blood. I knew my mate was trailing me but he kept his distance. The bond felt tense and thrummed violently so I blocked it off. I heard his sharp inhale and knew it had hurt him.

I wanted privacy. I wanted to feel what I felt without him feeling it too. Stumbling over my own feet, I reached out to brace myself against the wall of my den. I hadn't even realised this was where I was headed but then again, where else did I have to go?

Pushing into the den that once made me feel safe, I made a point of slamming the door shut. I kept my body pressed against it, as if I could keep my Beta out if he really wanted to come in. Footsteps stopped outside but he made no move to force his way inside. Once I was sure he understood not to come in, I moved away.