bunch of people shaped things in an alley

The sun titan Helios had long since passed the duty of watching over New York to the goddess of the moon, Selene. Crickets were chirping, singing their repetitive songs, while the diurnal animals had already gone home and were fast asleep, oblivious to the nocturnal animals that took their place.

The streets were quiet - as quiet as New York could get - and all the children had been tucked into bed. The demigods had all retired to their cabins, the Demeter cabin - filled to capacity because of the nymphs that had obediently followed Demeter were staying there - was still abuzz about seeing their mother, who paid them no mind.

While all the lights at the school had been turned off, Chiron's office light stayed on.

In the room, Chiron watched his sister warily as she paced the office, thorns beginning to grow in her hair, proceeding to tangle her light brown, almost blonde hair. The former refrained from saying anything as he just sat back, mildly frightened of the goddess of agriculture.

"She should be back by now." Demeter's strained voice showed that she was refraining from shouting, her fisted hands and occasional calming breathes proving her frustration.

"She probably got caught up with her friends." Chiron poorly attempted to calm the seething goddess - unsuccessfully.

"No. No. No." The goddess repeated sternly, her pacing coming to a halt, "Something has happened to her." making up her mind, Demeter promptly left the office, her horse legged brother following after her.

"Sister, what are you doing?" Demeter ignored her younger brother, heading to her children's cabin.

"Nymphs, we have work yet to do," she announced as she opened the door, and the nymphs, who were all tucked into the bed, all began to get out of the bunks enthusiastically, "we have somewhere to be."

Her children woke as well and Barley, the oldest, slowly approached her, "Leaving so soon, mother?"

Demeter's thorn-crowned head whipped to the young girl, who wore a green shirt with the words, 'Agriculture' bolded in black. The young girl resembled her father well, dark, sepia hair that stuck straight down, her bushy eyebrows and wide nose. Also, like her father, the girl was taller than average, big-boned, and her voice possessed the same husky tone. The only thing that she had in common to the goddess was the strict expression that seemed to be permanently on there, but currently, the girl's face looked lost as she stared after the mother that she only just met.

"Barley." Demeter simply spoke the girl's name, an acknowledgement.

The simple word was enough to bring a smile to the girl's face, her chest puffing out in pride and happiness.

"Goodbye, my children." She addressed the remainder of her offspring before swiftly turning and disappearing into the night, her nymphs promptly following their goddess.

Demeter, in her new freshly changed clothes, wore a floor-length sacramento green skirt and a white shirt as she walked the streets of the city. The tall female remained unaffected by the loud noises of the car, the drunks and the tourists as she headed to her destination, a trail of flowers growing in the most random places courtesy of her nymph followers.

They approached an apartment building and Demeter wasted no time in entering it, hastily heading to a particular apartment.

Upon arriving, she knocked thrice on the red wooden door, her indifferent expression a contrast to the happiness of the nymphs, with their pointed ears and childlike faces constantly filled with joy.

The door opened to reveal a drowsy Leanne, her hair all over the place as if she had just gotten out of bed - which she had, and she wasn't very happy about it, "What?" she groaned.