she turns into a plant... finally

Many people say that home isn't a place, but a person.

What they mean by this is that home isn't exactly a physical place, per se, rather, it is where you feel comfortable and safe, so while you may feel comfortable and safe at a place, it is also plausible to feel comfortable and safe where ever you are, as long as that particular person is with you.

That being said, Persephone was returning home after 6 long months, and she could be happier about it.

She had followed the cave to the gates of the Underworld, where tall, black wrought iron gates loomed threateningly, but Persephone couldn't have felt more welcome.

She approached the gate and fisted her hand, pounding on the iron until it swung open. A deep baritone growl rattled the gates and the rock ceiling.

Instead of turning and running as any sane person would, her smile only widened as the giant three-headed dog slinked out of the shadows. 

The dog ceased it's threatening growl and bounded towards her, shrinking with each step until it was her height.

The three heads began to slobber all over her face as they licked her in excitement, the dark, lifeless cave was filled with her cheerful laughter.

After a while, Cerberus had let her pass, and she continued through the cold, empty hallways, destination clear in her mind.

Hades sat on his throne slouching, his mood depleting more the longer the time he spent away from Persephone.

His hair was all tousled and messy, clothes completely casual, denim pants and a black shirt as he lazily sent dead souls on their way to the Asphodel Meadows.

Minthe was once again standing before him in impossibly inappropriate clothing. A thin black bra and a green wrap around her thin waist as she walked barefoot. Her wet hair dripped freezing water from the river Cocytus onto the marble floor, creating a puddle.

"Minthe, I don't care, I love Persephone." Hades rolled his eyes as they had the same discussion for what felt like the millionth time during the incredibly long 6 months.

"But think about it! People already respect me - " Minthe's voice rang through the hall and into the hallways where Persephone was walking.

"They don't respect you Minthe, they hate you." Hades interrupted as he closed his eyes, feeling a headache coming in.

"But they know that I would be a better queen than that maiden who is never here anymore. You should've chosen a loyal queen, not a girl who doesn't have her priorities in order." Persephone appeared behind the green-haired nymph.

"Didn't think I'd ever see you here again." Persephone's cold voice sent Minthe almost cowering, but she composed herself before she was able to.

"I'm just here to claim what's mine." Minthe stood proud, and Hades remained on his throne just like the previous time, unaware of what to do.

Men.

"Well if it's your dignity, then I don't think that's a possibility." Minthe gaped in offense.

"Who are you to degrade me like that?" Minthe scoffed.

"Your demise. I suggest you leave right now, and if I see you here again, you're done." The power and fury radiating from Persephone's small form made Minthe want to curl up and roll away.

"I'm not leaving." She had aimed for a confident tone but ended up with a nervous squeak.

Persephone smiled threateningly and placed a small hand on Minthe's shoulder, gently pushing down.

Minthe felt as if she was getting squashed as she began to crumble slowly to the marble floor. Her skin began to tint green, her face becoming porous, with the peach fuzz on her face growing longer. The bones in her body were breaking as she unleashed screams that chilled the dead souls to what would have been their bones.

"Have mercy!" The nymph screamed as Persephone continued to push her down to the ground.

"I thought you knew the land of the dead?" Persephone mocked, "There is no mercy here, only justice."

Minthe was finally one the ground, her skin a shade of green as her body was covered in light covered hairs, her skin covered in lines that intersected with raised skin between the shapes.  She had begun to grow smaller as she became disfigured, shrinking until she was the same size as a lawn ball.

Her screams continued to echo throughout the castle until Persephone lifted her foot and stepped on her, the cries ceasing abruptly.

Everyone watched on in shock, some disbelieving that this small goddess, with her hair in two braids on either side of her head and a pink stola hanging off of her pale shoulders.

She stepped her sandaled foot of the nymph and revealed a mint plant no bigger than a fist, sitting on the black marble floor.

"My love," Her head shot up at the sound of his voice, "I've missed you." he breathed out and stood, his opens wide as the goddess ran into his arms.

"We have a lot of catching up to do." Persephone murmured into his arms and pulled him out of the throne room.