Chapter 37

Atifa's pov :

As soon as I opened the door, I was surprised to see the woman whom we met yesterday standing in front of me. But that was not what surprised me the most, it was the lady standing behind her.

It was Zara bhabi, and she looked just as shocked as me, if not more than me. Moving aside, I let them in, greeting them, a small smile on my face. So was she really his mother? Zara's mother-in-law? So at least for once, I wasn't wrong?

These questions tumbled in my mind as I asked them to have a seat, weirdly enough, kind of thankful that ammi wasn't here right now. Because what if she decided to move us once again because his family lived here too? Maybe I was just being paranoid but I couldn't be sure about anything now. Not after the last abrupt decision which she took landed us here, away from him.

I wondered where Alayna was and if she was alright. I wondered if he came back or was still there, trying to find us.

After a bit of chit-chat, during which we - bhabi and I - acted as if we were meeting for the first time, I headed over to the kitchen, bhabi following me with a laugh and a box in her hand, claiming she brought something sweet made by her for us.

"Oh my God Atifa! Are you alright? What is even happening here?!" She whisper shouted as soon as we were out of eatshots, her eyes wide and concern written all over her face as she forwards the box to me.

"I'm fine bhabi, we are fine alhamdulillah." Sighing in relief, I replied with a small smile while taking the box from her and keeping it on the table. "How are you and bhai? And what about... them? Are they both alright?" I asked, hugging her lightly as thousands of questions roamed in my mind. I knew that even she had a lot of questions for us.

"Alhamdulillah!" A sigh of relief escaped her lips too as she hugged me back. "Alhamdulillah we are all fine too. Now tell me, what's the matter?" She inquired, confusion clear in her voice.

Retreating from the hug, I turned away from her to take out snacks for them. "I'm sorry... I have no idea..." I replied quietly, not meeting her heated gaze, which I could feel, was noticing my every move.

"What do you mean you have no idea? You came here with your family right? So tell me, what happened?" She replied furiously, her gaze unwavering.

"Jee bhabi, I came here with them, but that doesn't mean that I know the reason for us moving here." I bursted at her suddenly, before composing myself and replying calmly, continuing my work. "I- I'm sorry, maybe I'm overreacting but seriously, I have no idea myself."

(Yes,)

"Atifa! This isn't done. How can you not know? And if you don't know you then who knows, huh?" She replied angrily, holding my arm and turning me to face her. I averted my gaze, not really having any energy to reply.

"Api kon-" Amira interrupted us, halting in her steps and her words dieing down when she spotted bhabi. "BHABI!" She squealed, running into the kitchen from our room to hug her. I stared at her in shock, realising aunty might have heard her, and if she did, then it would definitely be a problem for us. But I was also kind of relieved that she didn't head out to aunty first and came here, we could at least ask her not to disclose anything to her now.

(Who-)
(Sister!)

Bhabi's attention diverted and she left my arm, bending down to hug her. Smiling, I turned to complete my work while she started chatting away with her, and I couldn't help but thank Allah for the wide grin covering Amira's face.

Taking out a bottle of juice, I kept it on the tray before turning to look at them. "Amira please don't tell anything about whatever happened back home to aunty, okay? And pretend like you are meeting bhabi for the first time. Okay? Can you keep these secrets?" I asked her slowly, my gaze flickering at the door before settling at bhabi, a worried look on my face.