Tired (John Mulaney)

Request by lukes_betch
__

< Sophomore year of highschool >

He was walking down the street, earbuds in his ears as he listened to his favourite Steely Dan music.

He was heading to a friend's house.

Well, she wasn't a friend, actually, they had never talked much, both in class or out.

But John had always had problems with math, and tomorrow there would've been a test with exercises he surely didn't know how to do.

So he had finally taken a deep breath and decided to ask her if she could've helped him. And she had said yes.

He walked up to the front door, and knocked three times.

No answer.

He frowned, confused, and looked at his watch.

It was five o'clock, he was excactly on time. Had she forgotten?
Not very cool of her...

He knocked again.

Suddently, a voice from behind the door.

"W-who is it?" she stuttered, clearly surprised to hear someone outside.

She sounded... nervous, afraid.
Almost as if she had cried.
Or was still crying.

"It's John... from school"

Silence.

"You said you would help me with maths... Is this a bad time?"

Still nothing, no response.
He waited out there on the patio for a while.

Then, as he was about to leave, the door slowly swung opened.

On the other side, Y/n, with a clearly forced smile and red lines running over her cheeks, from her eyes to her chin.

She had been crying.

"Hey! Sorry, I had completely forgotten..." she nervously laughed "Come in!"

John hesitated.
She clearly was upset about something, that laugh didn't feel genuine at all.

"Y-you're sure? I don't wanna sound harsh, or something, but... you seem upset..." he softly said, following her in.

"Oh no, no. Don't worry" she giggled again. This time it sounded even less true "I'm completely fine"

"...ok" he said, not really convinced.

He followed her in, and y/n showed him the living room, where he sat down, behind the big dining table in the middle of it.

"I'll be back in a second, I just gotta get my books" she smiled again "Find the page with the exercises, in the meantime"

"Ok" he said, following her with his eyes, as she quickly disappeared in her room.

He took book and notepad out of his backpack, and grabbed a pencil, a pen and an eraser from his penicl case.

Then he sighed, and turned around, looking back to the closed door of y/n's bedroom. Or at least, what he imagined could be her bedroom.

He was a bit worried.
The time that had passed was more than enough for her to take her books and be back.

But she was still in there.

He didn't know what to do.
He wanted to go check up on her, but it seemed a bit of an invasion of her privacy...