Chapter 8

"Okay, so you guys know your English presentations are coming up, right?" I asked my students. The class groans as a collective, making me laugh. "Oi! It's really not that bad. All you have to do is talk. Would you like me to do like the other teachers and make it a long written exam?"

Heads shook furiously throughout the classroom. Stifling a laugh, I continued, "That's what I thought. Now remember, one person has to show up to watch your presentation. No it doesn't matter who but family is preferred. Alright, class is over so get out." I smiled and waved as they exited.

"So have you seen pH Balance씨 (Mr.) since the concert?" I asked once the classroom was empty. It had been a few months since then but H1ghr Music had been hella busy. Touring, album releases, singles being dropped... I hadn't seen Jay in a while but we talked every day. Between the FaceTime calls and the texts, I'm pretty satisfied, at least for the most part.

"Yeah, I saw him a couple of times after that... hmmm, last time I seen him was like 3 weeks ago," she told me.

"You guys are better than me and Jay," I admitted. She turned her head slightly but stayed quiet. I huffed heavily and flopped into one of my students desk.

"I don't wanna be a brat you know... but... I- UGHHH I miss him so much it makes me sick." I flailed my arms in frustration. "Like at this point, I like him. There's no denying it. I like him so much that I wanna tell the whole world and take whatever scrutiny comes my way but I don't wanna tell him that over the phone, you know?" I folded my arms on the desk then dropped my head down.

"Babe, it'll be fine," Eonni cooed. She walked over to me and rubbed my back. "He's probably super busy. PH is usually busy with studio stuff but rather than that, he's free. Jay's got two labels to worry about. There's probably a shit ton of paperwork... if you assigned physical homework, you'd have a bunch too." She laughed at her own joke and grabbed her stuff.

"Don't over think it chingu (friend). Just tell him how you're feeling when you talk to him tonight," She advised. "I'll see you later Grace." She waved as she walked out the door, leaving to be miserable by myself.

I slowly gathered my things and sulked out the door. I dragged my feet the entire walk home, wondering how I would bring up my issues to Jay.

How can I even complain forreal? He's not my boyfriend.

I huffed and walked the nearest convenience store.

I bought a couple of beers, a bottle of soju, and some ramen. I sat down in the store and ate my feelings. There's nothing like alcohol and ramen to make one feel better.

I left once I was finished, slowly climbing up the hill to my apartment.

"I wish the hill was smaller," I hiccuped as I walked to my door. I stopped in my tracks before I made it. "What the hell is all this?"

There was a couple of bags in front of my door with a balloon tied to the handle. I grabbed everything and stumbled inside. Sitting on my bed, I grabbed a card out one of the bags.

To: Grace

From: Jay

I opened the card and stared at its contents.

I know that I haven't seen you in a while and that's my bad. This card is just a formality to let you know that I miss you. I miss your personality, your outlandish laugh, the cute little sounds you make. It's just not the same over the phone. I don't wanna sound weird but I want you with me like all the time. So I made time in my schedule for a date with you. I'm sorry if you already have plans but I need you to cancel them. I'll be there at 7:00pm. Be ready.