7 | Friendship

Caroline's POV

Caroline's POV

"THAT HURTS!" I couldn't handle it anymore. Sheriff acted worse than a child as he didn't allowed me to touch him or his injury. Whenever I did he started to scream. "If you'll hold still, it won't hurt as much." I objected, trying to remain calm in the situation. "If you stayed by my side as you should have for being my future wife, none of this would have happen!" Sheriff shouted at me. "If you didn't force me to go with you in the church, I wouldn't meet with Robin!" I dedicated play his silly game in slight anger.

"Well you shouldn't have been a traitor and stay with me!" Sheriff frowned, hitting a nerve. "Traitor?! Better be a traitor than a tyrannic beast like you! You really should learn to control your temper!" I shouted myself. It looked as a defeat, since Sheriff stopped talking and angrily turned his look away from me. Maybe I was a little harsh? Why do I even care? "Now hold still." I ordered, carefully finishing the sew of his wound. "It may sting a little." Sheriff screamed again. "Gaaahhh! It stings like hell!!!" I quickly placed towel on it. "Shh, stay still...we're almost there."

"Fine.." He glared, still squirming and gritting his teeth. "By the way...thank you...thank you for saving my life. You know...if you didn't catched me, I wouldn't be here now." I commented, taken by surprise myself I literally thanked him. But why not? He really did saved me in the end. "Ehm...yeah...yeah, you're welcome." He responded, sharing eye contact before he turned his look down. "Maybe I little misjudged you...I didn't mean to call you a beast.." I suddenly broke the silence as I noticed his anger mixed with actual sadness. Could it be?

"You misjudged me...is that all you have to say? You have no idea...nevermind." Sheriff muttered, finally turning away from the wall to look at me. There was anger and hurt in his eyes as he stared directly at me. I could tell that my words stung him, he didn't expect to be vulnerable in front of me. Was really something there? "I didn't mean it...it's just the town thinks you're a tyrant. Nobles are scared of you. Yesterday they were on my side because for first time they were feeling alive and not pressured what you'll do them. I know you're angry with me. But...but I guess I'm not that angry with you anymore." I admitted.

I might went insane, but as I was now close to him and saw his eyes properly, there wasn't only lust and evilness as I thought. There was a pain. "I might not be that angry with you either. I'm hurt that you misjudged me this whole time, and took me for nothing more than a cruel tyrant with no heart. 
You didn't even consider the fact that I'm a person with feelings too, who's been lonely and heartbroken for so long." Sheriff exclaimed, pain and anger in his voice, like he expected more from me.

"Well, I don't know you like this. All I knew you as was the tyrant entire town has you as. You forced me in this marriage by threating my Uncle's life. Not to mention your lust and short temper, so I beg you pardon but I truly had no chance see you differently." I commented, little overthinking my speech. "Ugh...I guess, that's a fair point I might been little...possesive..? I guess I was just trying to stay in the position of power, so I never showed my other side to you...All I feel now is...shame and embarrassment, I never wanted to let you see this side of me, no one seen me like this.." Sheriff sighed, about to turn away.

"No. No, that's alright. Look, I'm actually little relieved you have this..this other side when you aren't yelling and terrorizing everything and everyone." I admitted, the tiniest smile on my face. He turned back at me, his eyes softening up as he couldn't believe my words. I had no idea how lonely he's been or how he was hiding his emotions just to keep going. I slowly realized this must have been first time that someone has seen past his facade. "Is it better?" I pointed out the scar to break the silence and our eye contact. "Yeah..it is. Thanks." Sheriff answered, touching his scarred cheek to realize it's really getting better.

"Great.." I tried for a smile. I started to realize that this entire healing moment is more than physical, it's deeply emotional as my touching appeared to be healing something else. Was it his past scars? Was there something deeper than that? "Caroline..?" I payed him attention, surprised. His usual lustful eyes were now filled with concern. "Uhm..look, I never been good at apologies..but..I am aware of what I did to you...with it all...forcing you to marry me..I made my life better at your expense and I didn't see how much pain I was causing you...so...I'm sorry." Sheriff answered with sad sigh.

He apologized to me? He actually did? I couldn't believe it, true, it didn't justify all his previous actions and crimes but he finally started see me as something else than his property. Maybe we could be on good terms in the end? I still was unsure but this apology and his trying to change his ways was a good start. "Apology accepted, I guess." I said, trying for a smile. He looked at me softly, and despite everything that happened between us, I could feel how grateful he turned out that I stayed and helped him. Could this really be start of...of an actual friendship? I rather didn't rush it.

"It may sound random now but...uhm...do you have a name? A proper name, I don't mean Sheriff." I suddenly asked. "My name...you care for my name?" Sheriff was surprised by my question. "Yes or you call yourself Sheriff only? I believe you have a name." I said, hoping he would tell me. "George..my name is George." He muttered like he was ashamed of it although I had no idea why. "That's..that's nice name." I tried for a smile, kind of extending my hand to make it proper introduction.

George stared at my hand, then grabbed it to place smaller kiss on top. I was surprised as his touch was no longer rough but the more I was surprised of this sudden gesture. "No one really asked for my name. Thank you, I guess. Caroline.." George admitted, surprisingly shy behavior. "You're welcome then?" I nodded, checking the scar again. Pause. "Now I recommend you to rest a bit, just please don't touch the scar." I said, standing up. "No! Wait.." George grabbed my skirt, surprisingly in kind manner and not harshly. "Please stay here...with me. I have some offer for you."

"Offer?" I repeated, little confused. I just prayed it won't be another manipulation or anything like that. "About our engagement. I wanna...I wanna give you time. I know..right now you sure don't want to marry me but I promise you...if you give me chance you might at least change your view on me. Just one chance, that's what I offer you. Get to know me. Please." George said, staring into my eyes, anxious about my response. I tried process his offer properly. Maybe he came to senses after all. Not completely but at least a little.

"I guess...I don't have much choice, do I?" I commented, faint smile. "Just try get to know me. Try it, Caroline. You have heart full of kindness and purity...I never thought someone like that could exist. Would you give at least little of it to get to know me?" George sighed, actual despair in his dark eyes. What was I supposed to say? I remained silent for a while, seeing how nervous he is. For first time this infamous ruthless Sheriff looked hopeless. "I suppose second chance might be a good decision." I said in the end, making him smile.

"So you accept my offer?" George asked, hope in his eyes. "I do." I nodded with small smile. George smiled widely about it, trying hide his excitment deep down. He was smiling at me like his soul was being touched, as if I was somehow giving him his heart back after so many years of being hurt. Maybe there truly was something in him I could get to know and by that see him differently. It was just about time. "So..friends for now?" George asked, nervous chuckle. I smiled for myself and nodded. "Friends."

• • •

Hello everyone! Welcome to the newest chapter. This one was kind of rushed, since I'm really busy with school but I hope it won't disappoint you and I promise the following chapters shall be longer and better detailed. You can notice this was completely based on Beauty and the Beast scene and I'm looking forward for more references to bring. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I apologize for all my mistakes. Thank you so much for reading and see you in comments! Sending love