10 | Something There

George's POV

George's POV

"For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

I stayed silent with smile, as I listened to the story. I didn't mind spending time with Caroline in the library, as it always felt calm and peaceful there. I didn't say a word during the whole thing, I just quietly enjoyed Caroline being there. Caroline's voice could calm anyone, it was sweet, yet soothing. Her reading to me was small but very kind gesture, I really appreacited it. When I was younger I never experienced a single bedtime story, if I don't count all the Mortianna's spellbooks I used to steal as little boy.

"I loved that. Thank you." I chuckled as she finished the story. Even though it was an ending for a fictional story, it made me smile. "Could you read it again?" Caroline smiled, handing me the book. "Well, why don't you read it to me?" My heart almost jumped out of my chest. She wanted me to read!? I wasn't even sure if I could read. It was an embarrassing truth that I never wanted to come to light. But since Caroline had asked and I didn't want to be rude, I had to try at least.

"Fine..." I quietly mumbled, my voice sounding surprisingly soft. I cleared my throat, and tried to read something. I slowly opened the book, looking at the text. Then I began to read it and it was quite obvious that I struggled. "I can't." I groaned, embarrassed. "You mean, you never learned?" Caroline asked, kind of concerned. "I learned. A little. It's just been so long. I have my servants, advisors and especially Scribe to read, write and do all these things around it." I explained, aware it's not best excuse. "Just don't judge me." I muttered, almost sounding like a little kid.

"It's alright. Well, here, I'll help you." Caroline gave me a supportive smile, making me surprised. "Are you really willing help me to read?" I asked nervously, trying to clear my throat to speak again. "It's just...it's always been a bit embarrassing to me." I felt ashamed as I was the infamous Sheriff of Nottingham and couldn't even read properly. Yet, Caroline's kindness in her eyes told me I can be calm around her. I slowly came to realization how comfortable I feel in her presence. "I am." Caroline smiled in approval that she doesn't mind.

"Thank you." I tried to return the smile. In that moment I realized that the more time I was around her, the more I was dropping my whole "cruel" role of the tyrannical sheriff Mortianna raised me as. It was confusing but I felt much better the way I was now by Caroline's side. "No problem. Let's start here." Caroline smiled and opened the book on first page. I looked at the page, as I read the text that was on it. It took me a few seconds, as I sounded nervous but I wanted to read it flawlessly like Caroline did, although that was too much to ask for right now.

"You're doing well." Caroline gave me supportive smile through the reading and kept on helping me whenever I shuddered. I little smiled at her in return for few seconds before I continued reading. I was putting effort into it, as I tried my best to look serious about learning how to read for her. Somehow, in that moment, I felt closer to Caroline than ever before. She was so caring, someone could say she acted even motherly as she was showing compassion and kindness wherever she went. Something that I had never known before.