8 | Surprise for Caroline

George's POV

George's POV

"We reckon he's nicked...three to four million
in the last five months. Raise the bounty on his head. 25,000 crowns." Robin Hood. That was all I could think about. Since he appeared it was all getting worse. Despite the price on his head, Robin shaped the growing band of outlaws into a formidable force against me. They robbed rich folk passing through the forest and distributed the stolen wealth and food among the poor. Mortianna kept repeating I must destroy him. "Begging your pardon, it won't do no good... how much you raise it." I turned behind my advisor Scribe's voice. "Why is that?"

"Because of the poor. He gives them what he takes. Well, sire...they love him." Scribe admitted. I stared at him for a while, trying breath in and out. "Just a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket...forcing me to hurt the public...and they love him for it?" I asked, holding myself back. "Yes, sire." Sribe nodded. I growled, throwing a cup of wine his direction. "That's it! Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers. No more merciful beheadings. And call off Christmas!" I shouted, rushing from the room, Scribe instantly following me.

"The treasury is empty. Day and night people plague my door...whining for tax relief and safe passage through Sherwood Forest." I glared, mimicking them. "We can't pay thee what the highwayman's taken." Scribe tried to comfort me. "It's the shortest route to London!" I growled at him. "It's the only route to London, you little ferret!" As I wanted shout more, I saw Scribe little pointing behind me. I was annoyed what's up but I quickly tried calm myself and hide my short temper. I spotted Caroline.

Since our accident in church which led to better terms between us, I saw her travelling around castle without any problem. I was in relief she wasn't locked all days in her room and sometimes even approached me herself. It was awkward but I had no idea how to properly win her. "She's really adorable girl." Scribe admitted, making me frown. "Not for your eyes." I felt little bad after that as I yelled at him since morning. Back then I wouldn't mind but as Caroline was around there was some change.

"I've never felt this way about anyone." I commented, looking unexceptedly nervous in front of Scribe. "That's natural, sire. You have nothing to worry about as you told me, she agreed to give you a chance. That's a good start." Scribe reassured me. "Yeah but...I want to do something for her. But what should I do?" I sighed, feeling hopeless deep down. Caroline wasn't girl who I could win over jewelry, I was sure about it. "Well, there's the usual things. Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep." Scribe said, trying help me.

"Yeah...but is that special enough?" I asked, losted in thoughts. "I see. It must be something that sparks her interest. Well, I saw her wandering in stables.." Scribe started name some of Caroline's activites in castle and that was the moment I realized. "Stables..of course! That's it! That's it! You're not such idiot, Scribe! Yeah, that's it!" I cheered, making Scribe confused. "What are you talking about, sire?" I had no time to respond as I was already heading away. I finally had plan how to do something special for Caroline.