2 | Sheriff of Nottingham

Caroline's POV

Caroline's POV

"Robin, Robin, look! A butterfly!" My brother quickly approached me. "Caroline, be careful, you can't go this far!" I rolled my eyes with a sigh. "You're just like Uncle, I'm 9 and half and I haven't left this mansion since then. I wanna see the world, Robin! Don't you see? Or even the town, anything...anything just to leave this place and see other people. I know only you, our servants and Uncle. Don't you think it's strange? World can't be that dangerous for a girl like me, I'm sure." Robin shared with me eye contact, before wrapping his arms around me. "One day you will see the world, I know that but not now. Still, one day I'll show you everything you want. That's a promise."

"But there's maybe something, I could show you, now that you're nearly 10." My eyes were brighting from excitment. "What is it? Nottinghamshire?" Robin took my hand and walked me to the forest which surrounded our mansion. "Sometimes nature can be more beautiful than any city. I'm here all the time and wouldn't exchange it for any castle." Robin smiled as he let me go freely. "Have you ever dreamt of hitting the target?" Robin suddenly asked. "What do you mean?" I asked, smiling as I noticed him holding a bow and arrows. "Let me show you then, sissy."

This forest always brought the memories. Even after these 10 years it did. I lifted my face, letting the light and shadow dance across my skin. The trees lashed and crashed against each other like drum. The forest stayed the same beautiful throught the years, there was only one thing missing. Robin. Me and Robin were technically step cousins but we ended up being siblings by own choice. It was nearly a 1 year of Robin's absence. Since that day there was no single information about him. About the only friend and good thing I ever had in my life.

When Robin was around I didn't felt that odd. But now as I was 20 years old, I felt nothing but hatred for myself and my life.
I always thought there must be something wrong with me for being isolated my entire life. I just quite couldn't figure out what. After all, I couldn't complain. My parents died when I was baby and my Uncle, Malcolm of Locksley, was the most loving family I could ever ask for. He treated me like his own and so did Robin. I loved them both so much but I was tied with Uncle's rules since childhood.

The only part of world I saw apart of the mansion was this beautiful forest Robin introduced me to. We always sneaked out here and Robin could taught me more of the things he loved. He taught me how to ride a horse or how to never miss with any single weapon. Sure, this wasn't any lady behavior but it was the best I ever felt, finally feeling actual life in my veins. Unfortunately, as Robin was gone I could only walk through the forest and get lost in precious memories. I missed him terribly every day.

I sighed about it but then something caught my eye. It was deer, majestic golden deer. I stayed quiet and stared at the beautiful animal in admiration. I smiled even more when I saw the deer is joined by an adorable fawn. The moment was ruined as I heard noises which were coming closer and closer. I quickly hid myself behind one of the large trees as I heard voices. Male voices. I stayed hidden to see entire group. There were like 6 men. 5 of them were clothed more as peasents, I recognized they must be some guards. But they weren't my main subject.