Chapter 4: Best Pals

I still didn't understand why Hinata ran away yesterday. And frankly, I was getting nervous.

I entered the school grounds restlessly, my eyes darting from right to left. It's not like we haven't had a misunderstanding before. We always fought anyway. So why was I getting edgy? Stupid nightmare.

It was still a bit early for class. As part of my morning routine whenever I had extra time, I went to the vendo machine to get some milk.

Just as I turned around the corner, I was surprised to see bright orange hair. Hinata was leaning on the wall beside the vendo machine. He was throwing a drink up and down with his left hand absent-mindedly, like his thoughts were somewhere else.

When he finally saw me, his eyes lit up. "Oi, Kageyama."

My mouth forgot how to work.

"Kageyama" he repeated. He looked at the milk in his hand, then suddenly threw it to me.

I caught it with one hand, still confused. "What's this?" I poked it with a straw and started drinking it. It was the first time he bought me a drink, and I was feeling weirdly happy. I reigned in my feelings by glaring down at him.

Hinata scratched the back of his head awkwardly while looking at the floor

"An apology, I guess? " he still wasn't looking at me. "I wanted to apologize for yesterday. When I suddenly ran away."

I could feel my ears getting hot. He went to school this early just to buy me a drink and apologize....? He even remembered what I always got. Was he always that observant?

"Dumbass," I masked my weird feelings by sounding angry. "You didn't have to." But since I couldn't help it, I added, "Why did you run away anyway?"

He glanced up at me with big hazel eyes. Or was it amber...? Yeahp, it definitely was amber under the sun. I felt my cheeks heat up. Gahhh! I took a step back in reflex.

"It's embarrassing," he admitted. "I guess I got.... jealous?"

Something sparked inside me that felt dangerously close to hope. "J-jealous?" I stammered like a fool.

A blush crept through his cheeks. "I just kinda assumed that if you wanted to say anything, I was your go-to person. I thought you could trust me with any secret." He fidgeted with the last button of his school uniform, which distracted me for all the wrong reasons. "I just assumed we were best pals, you know? So I got jealous that you told Hitoka and not me."

Best pals.

Two words that shouldn't have hurt. But it felt like someone suddenly plunged their hand inside my chest, and squeezed it with all their might.

But didn't I tell myself yesterday that this was enough?

Gulping down the pain, I slapped the top of his head lightly. His hair felt soft beneath my touch.

"Dumbass. It was her secret," I lied. "She told me not to tell anyone in the volleyball team. And since I was closest to you, she made me swear not to tell you."

"Really?" He asked. I watched as a slow smile make its way to his face.

Why was he so cute? He should seriously friggin stop smiling like that

Why was he so cute? He should seriously friggin stop smiling like that. He looked like the impersonation of the sun itself.

"Of course!" Was the only thing I could come up to say. "you dumbass! If I had a secret, you would be the first person to know!"

I thought what I said would make things awkward. But his smile only got bigger. Tsh. I guess it was only awkward for the one with hidden feelings.

He took a step away from me, laughing. "I guess you're right. No one in their right mind would want to be friends with the scary King except me!"

At this, I felt pissed. Happy and pissed. I felt that a lot with Hinata. "What did you say! Come here, I'll kill you!"

 "What did you say! Come here, I'll kill you!"

And that's how we ended up, as usual. Him laughing, while running away from me. Me getting angry, and chasing after him. At that time, some students were already on the school grounds. They dodged away, as we ran around the campus.

Guess I can't help myself from chasing the sun.