Chapter 17: My Summer Sun

Kageyama Tobio

Our recent fight may seem petty and baseless for some people. But it was a fight built on our insecurities over the past month, and that's why it seemed big to me.

Shouyo tried talking to me in practice the next day, but I ignored him. I still couldn't wrap my head around the way he accused me of liking Hitoka. Especially how he enunciated that I was actually straight. And my feelings for him were somehow just a fleeting thing -- a phase.

It felt like he was underestimating my  feelings for him.

------
Hinata Shouyo

Persistent was Shouyo's middle name.

That's why even though Tobio ignored him during morning training, the small guy persisted.

He came over Tobio's class during lunch break, only to be kicked out by the taller guy. Then during afternoon practice, Shouyo flanked around the taller guy -- trying to gain his attention. Tobio acted like he didn't even existed.

In desperation, he followed Tobio home that day -- even though it was out of the way. However, the taller guy just glanced at him before going inside his house.

"Tsh," Shouyo talked to no one in particular. "Not even a goodbye...."

The next morning, Shouyo was beyond depressed. He decided he was going to jump out of the window if Tobio still didn't talk to him. Convinced that he might actually do it, he turned to the love gurus for help -- Nishinoya and Tanaka.

The second year duo was shady for some people, but Shouyo looked up to them with reverence.

"Senpai!" The first year shouted upon seeing them in the hallway. "I need your guidance!"

The duo looked at each other, clearly pleased, before launching themselves at Shouyo.

"What help do you need, little guy?" Tanaka proudly asked.

Nishinoya gave the midget a thumbs up. "Your senpai will help you with anything!"

Suddenly embarrassed, Hinata stared at the floor while wriggling around. "Err," he started. "Say... My friend and his lover got into a fight... What should my friend do?"

"What did they fight about?" Tanaka asked.

Hinata blinked. He wasn't sure himself. It had something to do with getting jealous...? But, no. Shouyo knew it was only the side effect of a different problem.

"My friend wants to keep their relationship a secret."

The two second years looked at each other, boggled.

Nishinoya: that doesn't make sense.

Tanaka: I know right! I feel bad for the girl... If I had a lover, I would definitely parade her around!

Nishinoya: *nods head vigorously* I mean, man. The girl must be really hurt by it.

Tanaka: *strokes chin* and possibly got very insecure. She would think something's wrong with her to be hidden like that.