Chapter 8: Egg over RIce

Hinata Shouyo

Volleyball was fun, as usual. And as usual, Kageyama was cranky as hell.

"You suck at receiving!" He shouted crossly. "Dumabass Hinata, dumbass!"

Hinata couldn't help but pull a face. Is that how Crappyama treats someone he likes? It's been three days since the confession. And sometimes Hinata wondered, did he just imagined it? Did he only misread the situation? Because Kageyama definitely didn't act like a person infatuated. Instead, he acted like his usual Kingly self.

On the other side of the net, Suga was smiling at his teammates -- Asahi and Yamaguchi, encouraging them. On Hinata's side of the net, Kageyama looked like he was ready to kill someone.

The bell suddenly rang, signaling that it was time to get going. All of their teammates started cleaning up and went to the direction of the door.

"I'm hungry," Hinata started to say. "Oi Kageyama, wanna eat some meat buns?"

Kageyama nodded. "There's this new Yatai near the coach's shop. Wanna try it?"

Suddenly, Suga was there, putting his arm around Kageyama's shoulder. "Well," Suga chirped, with a big grin on his face. "Have fun, you two!"

Kageyama blushed, then pushed Suga away. "Just get going!"

At this, Suga laughed and went away. Hinata heard Daichi ask, what's up with you? Why are you grinning so much? Which, Suga only laughed some more.

-----

Kageyama Tobio

"Oohhhh, it looks yummy!" Hinata said, while getting one of the chairs.

I sat beside him. From the side of my eyes, I watched him as he scanned the menu.

"I heard they have egg over rice," I started to say. "I thought you'd like that."

Hinata suddenly stared up at me, surprised. I blushed and immediately looked the other direction. Why did he have to ambush me with that look?? Seriously, being with him will shorten my life span.

"Is that why you invited me here?" he asked in a weird tone.

My cheeks felt like tomatoes. "No!" I denied, shouting down at him. "I'm hungry, too! I heard the ramen taste nice here! My choice has nothing to do with you! "

 "I'm hungry, too! I heard the ramen taste nice here! My choice has nothing to do with you! "

His smile could have rivaled the sun. Then he turned to the waiter happily. "One order of egg over rice, please!"

-----

Kageyama Tobio

Today was fun.

We talked about almost everything at the Yatai stand. Volleyball, school, even our family. It was the first time I heard him talk about his sister, Natsu. I weren't any good with kids, but his stories about Natsu made me think I could like her.

Hinata finished his bowl first. He looked satisfied with the meal. "That was sooo good!"

It was getting darker. I looked at my watch. "Wanna go home now? You still have a mountain to cross." Then, because I felt like it, I paid for our meal.

Hinata watched me silently, as I gave the money to the vendor.

"You don't have to pay for my food every time..." Hinata said, looking a bit red in the face. "I have allowance, you know."

I felt my own cheeks reddened, as well. Why did he have to blurt out embarrassing things like that? "Dumbass! At least, let me do this... if you can't accept my feelings, then let me do things that will make me happy."

Hinata's face turned as red as mine. He looked away from me, and hopped on his bike that was parked near the stand.

"Thanks for the meal!" He said, still looking away. "See you tomorrow, Kageyama!"

-----

Hinata Shouyo

That night, Hinata sped through the mountains as fast as he could. Still, it didn't calm him down. His heart was beating irregularly against his chest, and his nerves were all over the place.

Why did he feel that way? Kageyama being kind was so rare and unsettling that Hinata found himself tripping over his words and actions. He didn't know how to feel and think about that.

When he got home, he had a hot shower and went straight to bed. Suddenly, his phone beeped.

He smiled like a goofball when he read the message.

Hope you got home safely, dumbass.