Chapter LIII

Charlotte and Isabel stood alongside Edward, Richard, and George as they made their announcement about France

"So send out commissions and muster your men. We will take France!" Edward announced loudly and all the men began to cheer while Elizabeth looked unhappy next to her throne.

"The three sons of York!" Isabel added in and the men cheered even louder.

Little Teddy, Isabel's and George's son, whimpered at the noise and Charlotte bounced him slightly to calm him down, exchanging a smile with George. Despite everything, he seemed calmer now that like his brothers, he had a son.

George smiled, exchanging a brief look with Charlotte before he found himself standing between Richard and Edward, a hand on both of their shoulders. "And none shall divide us," George continued, shooting a glare at Elizabeth.

With that, George and Richard walked away, Isabel following after her husband, while Charlotte walked off the steps, still able to listen in to whatever Elizabeth was about to say to Edward.

"Edward? What are you doing?" Elizabeth complained as she took a seat on her throne. "Stirring up another war where you could die?"

Edward briefly turned his head, only to sigh when he saw Charlotte's back was facing him. He looked back at Elizabeth, trying not to seem annoyed. "I wish to mark my reign with glory. Richard will have honor, and George will take the Regency for me. He will continue to do so until William turns sixteen. Then he shall do it for me."

Elizabeth slowly looked up at Edward, her eyes wide in alarm. "William will not be sixteen for another ten years. You cannot give George such power, especially for that long. He will surely turn it against you!"

"He is my brother, Elizabeth," Edward reminded Elizabeth in a stern tone. "And fighting for a common cause will unite us."

"It will tear you apart, as will she," Elizabeth retorted, referring to Charlotte in a venomous tone. "I assume you will be taking her with you."

"We will not speak of this, Elizabeth," Edward scolded Elizabeth, who sighed in frustration.

"Then let's talk about George," Elizabeth argued coldly. "If you make George the French Regent, you will regret it."

Furious, Elizabeth stood up from her throne before storming off. Edward didn't even seem bothered when she walked away.

His attention immediately went to Charlotte, who slowly turned to face him. "What do you think?" Edward asked, clearly favoring her advice and opinion over Elizabeth's.

"I like George, she does not. She isn't blinded by her love and loyalty toward him as I am. She would probably see his ulterior motives before I would. However, she is also quick to assume the worst of him since he's partly the reason her father and brother died," Charlotte explained, slowly walking up the steps to meet Edward face to face. "But I do think you should be wary of him. The fact that he suggested such a thing so randomly is a bit suspicious."

"I will be careful," he assured her, standing up. "Now, who is my namesake behaving?"

"Teddy is a delight, something I'm sure my sister is grateful for," Charlotte laughed, bouncing the little boy slightly. "Now, are you sure it is wise for me to go to France with the army?"

"I need you with me," Edward sighed. "You are the one I trust the most. I know you do not advise me for your own benefit, but for the good of the realm."

"What if..." Charlotte trailed off, biting her lip. "What if something happens to you? Elizabeth will be here, on England, as will our children."

"I've made precautions," he admitted softly. "Our children will have nothing to fear, nor will you."
            ─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Edward lifted his head to smile at Charlotte's sleeping figure.

With Charlotte's arm still wrapped around him, he lifted his hand, smiling softly. He lightly ran his fingers up and down her chest and stomach through her nightshift. He leaned down slightly, pressing a light kiss from across her neck.

Edward smiled as he felt Charlotte begin to react to his touch and begin to wake. She groaned softly, a small smile appearing on her lips as she kept his eyes closed.

Edward glanced up at her and smiled, continuing to kiss all along her collarbone, before she leaned closer to kiss him. She raked her fingers down his body, but stopped before reaching his pants, instead moving to straddle him as she continued kissing him, grinding her hips against his, letting out soft moans at his touch.

He was about to remove his pants, when Charlotte grabbed his wrist.

"No," she argued in a low tone.

Edward turned to her and frowned, a puzzled look on his face. "Why?"

"We are leaving for France soon," she reminded him and Edward continued to look confused. "We could be there for months."

"And?"

"And..." she trailed off, sitting up before she cupped his face in her hands. "If we are going to war, I do not wish to become with child. I don't know how long we'll be gone and the ingredients for the tea will run out and they go bad if they are not stored correctly, so there's the chance it won't work. We cannot have sex this morning or while we are in France because, quite frankly, I do not want to be pregnant if we are going to war."

"My mother was in a war zone when she birthed me, Edmund and Eliza," Edward argued, only to pause and sigh. "Although, she was not in the camp as you will be."

"Exactly," Charlotte replied and nodded. She sighed, placing a hand on the side of his face. "I want to have sex with you, I do. But we can't. I don't want to risk it. When we return to England, I will give you more children, I promise."

"I do not need more children if you do not want more," he hastened to say. On one hand, he would love more children to carry his legacy and to keep the future of the House of York alive, but he also realized that his part was easy. He only needed to spill his seed inside her womb and hope it would take root, her body had to grow their children and then push them into the world and then, there was a tiny human depending on her for survival. And he and Charlotte already had six children. He wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to ever be pregnant again.

"Of course I want more children," Charlotte sighed, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "We make adorable babies, remember?"

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

English Channel

"My men of England," Charlotte cupped her hands around her mouth to amplify her voice, her heart clenching as she remembered her father doing the same years ago. "Do you see that banner? That is a replica of the Oriflamme. The sacred flag of Saint-Dennis. The ancient flag of Frankia. Wherever the Oriflamme is, there shall be no quarter given to the offending army."

The men yelled, but quieted as she held out a hand, putting more pressure on her feet in order not to stumble as the waves rocked the boat.

"Let's show the French the might of England. We shall treat them as they shall treat us. If the Oriflamme is up, we shall give them no quarter. No prisoners shall be taken. Brave men, fight! Show no mercy. Fight to the death. Let's reclaim our ancestral lands! Let's reclaim Normandy and Rouen. Let's reclaim our king's birthplace!"

Historically, Isabel and George had four children. The show decided to show the one they lost outside Calais, Maggie and Teddy, while delaying Teddy's birth. Teddy was in fact born in February 1475, so there was his debut.