Chapter XXXIX

English Channel

English Channel

The wind wailed as huge waves crashed against the ship.

"We're going to die!" Isabel was screaming frantically. Charlotte shed her coat before coming to Isabel's side, placing her hand on her sister's forehead and frowning as she felt her warm to the touch. "Lottie! The baby's coming! We must return to port!"

"We will take shelter on the coast. Get linens and rags, Annie! Get your mother as well! Quickly!" Charlotte screamed at Anne, who took off, as she helped Isabel settle into a more comfortable position.

Some time passed by as Charlotte and Lady Anne worked to get the baby out of Isabel. However, it was stuck, and their hands were too big to turn it. The storm rocked the ship back and forth, causing big waves to come over the sides. She feared the ship would sink.

"Mother, what is happening? Why doesn't the baby come?" Anne asked, looking sick as she saw Isabel.

"It's stuck inside her. She needs a midwife to turn it. Go ask Father how long before we reach Calais!" Charlotte yelled over the waves, causing her youngest sister to run back to where her father was.

Isabel groaned as they tried to get the baby to come out. Charlotte moved the hair from Isabel's face as she heard an explosion.

It was a cannon. Calais had turned against them. Her father had been the Captain of Calais for more than ten years and now, when they most needed the help of the city, they turned them away. Charlotte wanted to cry at the thought.

"They are firing at us!" Anne said as she returned to the room.

Charlotte sat on the bed and pulled Isabel into her lap as the Lady Anne turned from Isabel to Anne, taking hold of her hands. "You will have to turn it. You have the smallest hands." Anne started to protest as Isabel cried out Anne's name, pleading for her to do it. "You have to put them inside her and try and turn the baby."

"No, Mother, please! I cannot!"

"The child is stuck. If you love your sister, you will do it!"

"Annie. Please, Lady Mother! I don't want to die! Annie!" Isabel cried as Anne lifted her skirt to try and turn the baby.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Charlotte hummed as she stroked Isabel's hair soothingly, not caring that her dress was being soaked from the younger girl's tears. It was already ruined by the bloodstains, so it was no matter. She looked up as she heard someone clearing her throat and saw George at the door of their cabin.

"I will leave you," she kissed her sister's forehead and made to leave, but Isabel grasped he arm firmly, looking at her with wide, pleading eyes. She nodded and laid back down next to her.

"I'm sorry for your loss," George said awkwardly.

"Our loss," Isabel answered bitterly. "If we had stayed in England, my baby would have lived. If you had allowed Charlotte to take me North, my baby would have lived."