Chapter LXXIII

A few days after the spectacle at the music room, before entering the dining hall with the rest of the royal court, Charlotte stood with Richard, Edmund, and Brackenbury, speaking of the upcoming war and their needed preparations

A few days after the spectacle at the music room, before entering the dining hall with the rest of the royal court, Charlotte stood with Richard, Edmund, and Brackenbury, speaking of the upcoming war and their needed preparations. It was no longer a matter of if war would come, it was simply a matter of when.

"And how are our numbers in the North, Brackenbury?" Edmund questioned, raising a brow at the man.

"We are many, Your Grace," he answered and Edmund nodded. "The North is loyal to the Nevilles."

"Enough are loyal to make us strong?" Richard added in, a concerned look on his face. He had been President of the Council of the North for years. He knew its state and he knew that the Percys and the Talbots had enough ambition to believe they should have more power.

"With ease, my lord," Brackenbury replied as Megan, Anne and Lily walked over to join them, with Caitlin, Lizzie and Cecily behind them.

Anne stopped when she was standing in front of Richard, waiting for her husband to escort her into dinner.

Richard stared at his wife for a long moment, his lips parting slightly as he hesitated. "Lady Catherine," he called out, holding his hand out toward Caitlin instead. "May I walk you in to dine?"

People began to whisper amongst themselves as Caitlin nodded and made her way over to Richard. They locked hands before entering the dining hall, the rest of the royal court following close behind them.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Mama! My Lady Anne!" Bess suddenly called out as she ran toward her mother alongside Maggie and Nora.

"Bess? What is it?"

"He said he was hot. But we were playing and then he fell asleep," Maggie informed them shakily and Anne's smile faded, understanding what she didn't say.

"Oh, no. No! Richard?!" She screamed out before running in the direction of her son's room, her husband following close behind her as the girls led the way.

"Oh, my baby Edward," Anne cried out as she and Richard leaned over both sides of the bed to reach their only son. "Edward?"

"Edward?" Richard called out to his son fearfully. "Is there pain? Tell me!"

"Help him, Richard! Help him!" Anne pleaded, on the verge of breaking down.

"I don't know how to help him," Richard shouted, beginning to be overwhelmed at the thought of losing his son.

Maggie, Nora and Nan stood in the doorway, trying not to cry at the sight of their cousin's dying body. Bess was sobbing as she leaned against the wall, watching her parents with her brother.

Charlotte suddenly appeared, tears already streaming down her face as she took in the image in front of her. She took hold of her nieces, daughter and stepdaughter and started to herd them out of the room.