Chapter XX

Their arrival in the city was met with cries of cheer

Their arrival in the city was met with cries of cheer. Seeing the golden king of York return to the court was a joyous occasion for the peasants and commoners. However, once the people saw a woman riding in front of King Edward, questions began to float around.

Who was the woman? Why was she riding with their king? Had he saved her from some disaster? Was she to be some important noble's daughter brought to be a lady-in-waiting to their future queen?

Their questions were answered when the lady was helped down her horse by the king who pressed a kiss to her lips once the procession stopped, before Edward took his daughter into his arms. Seeing the babe in the arms of their king, the people began to cheer even louder, the reality of the situation coming to light.

Their procession continued until they reached the stairs of the palace, the Earl of Warwick standing stiffly at the top. He gazed down at the scene in front of him, no expression showing on his face. No one could read him, except perhaps Charlotte who walked alongside Edward, his arm securely wrapped around her waist as he cradled their daughter.

A stable hand bowed to them and took the horses before the group climbed the stairs to meet Richard Neville. Marie followed behind, rubbing Charlotte's back encouragingly as she held Lily's favorite blanket in her arms.

Upon reaching the pair, Warwick looked at Charlotte and his granddaughter for the first time. Charlotte curtsied respectfully, waiting until her father signaled for her to rise. Edward stood beside her, proud of her resilience.

Surely Warwick would be pleased at the sight in front of him, his granddaughter had been acknowledged as his child — now all they had to do was announce their marriage. Warwick held his hand out to Charlotte, gently grasping her elbow and helping her stand again. He caressed his granddaughter's cheek before starting to walk away.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Charlotte walked into Edward's office, where he sat at his desk, his face in his hands. He looked frustrated.

"Are you alright?" She asked, causing Edward to immediately lift his head, his entire mood brightening almost instantly at the sight of Charlotte.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," Edward was quick to answer, a smile forming on his lips, "Especially now you're here with me again."

"Unluckily for us, it will not last long," Charlotte reminded Edward, who let out a loud scoff.

"Oh, please," Edward argued and Charlotte immediately noticed the mischievous look on his face, "I have plans to ensure that you and your sisters stay here with Lily until Christmas."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Charlotte bit her lip as she realized how her words might be construed. She quickly spoke again before Edward could argue. "I'd love to stay here and I'm sure Isabel and Anne would love it as well, but the court is no place for Lily. She's a little baby, she could easily get ill. We should set up her nursery at a residence here in London for the moment."