Chapter LIV

Picquigny, France

Picquigny, France

Charlotte was sitting on Edward's lap on his makeshift throne, both of them feeling the high and the thrill of being at camp and the energy it gave them. Edward tensed as she lowered her lips unashamedly to his neck and she frowned, raising her head to see him looking straight ahead. Turning around, she saw French soldiers walking into their camp in a formation she knew could only mean they were escorting a noble.

She stood up quickly, brushing off Edward's hold on her wrist, straightening her dress as she walked behind the makeshift throne, taking an offered goblet with her right hand and setting her left on the chair.

From the corners of her eyes, she could see as Richard and George also tensed, both going to stand next to Edward, forming a protective bubble along with other soldiers, covering her slightly from view.

They looked ahead, tense, as the group approached them. Her eyes widened as the men parted, revealing who they were escorting. Reluctantly, she sank into a curtsy.

"Votre Majeste," she murmured and saw George and Richard hastily bow as Edward simply reclined further on his throne.

"King Louis," Charlotte could almost see Edward's smirk. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"His Grace wishes for this senseless invasion to end," one of the guards said. "He's willing to negotiate with the Lady Charlotte."
            ─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"They want a truce," Charlotte said, answering the brothers' questioning glances as she left the tent.

George shook his head. "We didn't sail here to talk. We sailed to overthrow Louis!"

"We came to win back England's honor and reclaim the lands that should be ours," Richard said sharply, not liking his brother's tone.

"We should listen to King Louis' terms for peace," Edward decided. "He said he would offer land! So perhaps we could win without bloodshed."

"He cannot offer us dignity or glory!" Richard complained and Charlotte knew he had a point.

"And he won't make me regent, Edward. Which is what we agreed!" George growled, a furious look on his face.

"We agreed on nothing," Edward replied tersely. "I said that I would think about it. Yet you act as though you're entitled to it!"

"Let's all calm down," Charlotte broke in. "Let's talk about this with clear heads."

"I did not become the Duke of York because I aspired to be," Edward started. "It came about because of other peoples' actions. It came about because of my father's early death and his desire for the throne. Because of a war my father started in an attempt to get Mad King Henry to recognize our superior lineage to the throne as descendants of Edward III. I did not become king out of ambition. I did it because we had to rip the wicked Margaret of Anjou out of the throne." He looked around. "Nonetheless, I am king. King Edward! Hmm. What does a king do, Richard?"