Chapter XLII

Harfleur, FranceApril 1471

Harfleur, France
April 1471

Charlotte met her husband's eyes daringly as they squared off in the hall.

"You will be on that ship and that's the end of the matter," Edouard snarled.

Her hazel eyes flashed. "It's not safe! Isabel took to the sea heavy with child and the babe did not survive. Would you sentence your own child, your heir, to that same fate?"

Edouard looked her up and down, his gaze stopping momentarily on her hands, laying protectively over her stomach, its small bulge invisible, hidden under the fabrics of her dress.

"I will make a better show having you by my side. You are carrying my son right now, as you just said. What does the Duke of York have? Three daughters? You proved you can bear sons, and now you are going to have my son. The men will rally behind my call seeing you."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

English Channel

Charlotte hadn't worn red or white since they set sail. She'd dressed herself in dark colors, black, blues and greens. She'd even taken to styling her hair in a simplistic braid that mirrored Queen Margaret's.

There was no subtlety in her actions, but there wasn't meant to be. If she was to stay safe and keep her status as hostage out of everyone's minds, it was best to distance herself from the past. The child growing in her womb just made her shackles tighter.

Of course, only Queen Margaret was willing to approach Charlotte not too long after her father's letter arrived.

"Queen Margaret," Charlotte bowed her head as she entered the solar the older woman had taken to using on the boat.

"There's no need for that, Charlotte," Margaret gave a rare, soft smile, though Charlotte could see the slight strain to it. "Please sit."

Charlotte chose the seat furthest from the roaring fireplace.

"I'm sure you've received a letter from your father as well," Margaret said.

"I have," Charlotte nodded. "He told me of how well things were going at court. Uncle Henry seems secure in his throne and my sister and brother-in-law seem earnest in their support of the Lancastrian movement."

Margaret raised her brow. "You seem to be quite content here with us, despite your protests."

"It is best for us all if it remains that way, isn't it?" Charlotte tried her best not to fiddle with her hands in her lap. "If I continued to argue with Edouard, things would just be more and more complicated and there's no need for that."

Margaret sighed and sat down at the desk in between the two of them.

"You know I'm from Anjou, yes?"