Chapter XXVIII

Elizabeth sat in her rooms as her mother and brother heard her complain about Edward and Charlotte

"I had heard the stories, but I believed he would be faithful to me," Elizabeth confessed, keeping her tears at bay. "I did not even ask him about her."

"And, tell me exactly, how does she affect you? She is here, you must have expected that, as she is Warwick's daughter. But you are the king's wife, not her."

"And what use is being a queen if I don't have the king's love?"

"Have you asked Edward about her?" Anthony asked, thinking about the dark-haired woman who'd broken his heart.

"What should I ask him, exactly?" Elizabeth snapped. "He's been cautious enough to at least be away from her when I can see them. But they don't even have to be close to one another. I saw how he felt about her the moment he brought me to court. He loves her. Deeply, unconditionally."

"You are the queen! She is nothing more than the daughter of an Earl —"

"Her mother was a Princess of England," Elizabeth muttered, cutting off her mother.

"She is the daughter of an Earl, who inherited two earldoms for herself. Her father is the richest man in England," Anthony argued, seeing Elizabeth's point.

"Her children are his. The rumors Anthony heard were true, I know it. She gave him a girl and barely more than a year later, a son. Edmund looks like I would have expected our son to look like, only with darker hair. She gave him a son, Mother, nearly at the cost of her own life if the rumors are true. She gave him a son who can challenge my own sons for the throne."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Edward was running through the palace, his arms reaching towards a shadow just out of reach. He reached to grasp it, but once again the figure slid through his fingers. Rounding a corner, he came to a halt at the sight in front of him. Sitting on ledge in front of him was Elizabeth, scantily dressed in nothing but a sheer white robe, her golden hair fluttering in the wind. She pursed her pouty lips at him and smiled coyly. Untying the robe, she let it slide down her arms, exposing her body.

Her skin looked flawless and smooth in the moonlight. Edward's eyes drank her in greedily, savoring the way her body looked. Her breasts were full, her stomach toned, and her legs slender. Lifting her hand up to her neck, she traced a path between the valley of her breasts, down her stomach, and towards her forbidden area, pausing just before she reached it. Edward licked his lips in anticipation, but she didn't continue down the path he thought she would. Instead, she beckoned him with a finger and spread her legs apart. Edward groaned and walked briskly toward her, that is until he heard a small whimper. Jerking his head to the side, he wondered who had just interrupted his playtime.

Edward couldn't believe it. His precious Charlotte was here, standing in front of him clad in a loose fitting nightgown which enhanced her beauty. Her beautiful hair was braided and lay on her shoulder and her big eyes shined up at him. Her arms were wrapped around herself and she seemed nervous in his presence. Edward went to take a step forward and she timidly stepped back. He repeated the movement and she repeated hers until she had been backed into the wall behind her. Charlotte unwound her hands from around herself, pressing her palms to the cool stone wall.