Chapter LXIV

Middleham Castle, Yorkshire

Bess followed the sound of voices to her father's sitting room, with him giving orders. "Prepare horses, my clothes."

"Yes, my lord."

He gave her a small smile when he saw her at the door. "Weapons. We ride to London."

She heard footsteps behind her and saw her mother approaching the room. "Bess, go to your room," the girl nodded, but she hid behind the door so she could overhear her parents.

"Richard, what's the matter? Are we at war?"

"The King is gravely ill."

Bess gasped. If Uncle Edward was dying, that would mean Edmund was about to be king.

"But Edmund..." her mother started, only to be cut off by her father.

"Edmund is a man grown, married and with a daughter already."

"Edmund is a boy," her mother contradicted. "He is only nineteen."

"He is of age. Charlotte had him send a missive requesting our presence at court. Pack what is indispensable for you and Bess. We ride in an hours' time."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Margaret Beaufort and Lord Stanley were walking down the hallway as Edmund returned to the king's chambers. They spoke of the matter at hand and Margaret couldn't help but feel relieved.

"This is your divine act!" Lord Stanley snapped at Margaret in a hushed tone.

"I'm sure the Rivers whore will fish out some potion to restore his..." Margaret suddenly trailed off as they stopped in front of Edward's chambers.

Their eyes widened when they saw Elizabeth inside. Though it was Charlotte's older children who were inside, it did not change the fact that it was she and not Charlotte who was at the dying king's bedside.

Inside the room, Lily tried her hardest not to cry as she sat at her father's bedside, holding his hand. William stood nearby with Caitlin, who was crying.

Charlotte stood at the foot of Edward's bed, her face pressed against Edmund's chest as she cried, his broader frame obscuring her from view.

Just then, Cecily walked in, using her cane to assist herself in climbing up the small step to Edward's bed to stand beside Charlotte and her oldest grandson.

Edmund grabbed Cecily's arm, helping her remain standing as they stared down at Edward. She began to cry, her heart breaking at the thought of losing another one of her sons. First, she had lost four of them young, only for Edmund to be taken away as he was becoming a man. Then George, her precious George had died and now Edward. She'd had eight sons and she would be left with only one of them.