Chapter LXXIX

The promise of a meeting with the Stanleys, the first great recruits to their cause, makes the Tudor army halt their eastward march on London and turn for the North

The promise of a meeting with the Stanleys, the first great recruits to their cause, makes the Tudor army halt their eastward march on London and turn for the North. Sir William Stanley comes out with just a small bodyguard to meet them as they get to the town of Stafford.

"Your Grace," he says to Henry, and puts his fist to his chest in a soldier's salute. Henry shoots a quick glance at Jasper. This is the first English nobleman on English soil to greet him with the title of a king.

"Where is your army, Sir William?"

"Just one day away, awaiting your orders, sire."

"Bring them to join us; we are marching on London."

"It will be my honor," Stanley says.

"And your brother, Lord Thomas Stanley?" Jasper asks.

"He is raising his men and will join us later," Sir William replies. "He is at Lichfield, a little south of here. He was going to bring them to Tamworth. We thought you would march on Nottingham and give battle to Edmund at once."

"Not London?" Jasper questions.

"London is all for Edmund," Sir William warns. "They will close the gates, and you will face a hard siege; they are well armed, and the Duke of Gloucester has prepared them. If you sit down before London, Richard will come marching up behind you to defend his nephew's throne."

Henry's face is still — he shows no fear, though his hands tighten on the reins.

"Let's talk," Jasper says, and motions Henry to dismount.

"Will you march with us on London? Will Lord Stanley?"

"Oh, neither of us would advise it," says Sir William. Henry notices that this does not answer the question.

"Where would you join us?" he asks.

"I have to go to Tamworth, I am promised to meet my brother there. I can't come with you immediately."

Jasper nods.

"We would come after," Sir William assures him. "We would be your vanguard for your march on London, if you are determined on London. But the Yorkist army will come along behind us ..."

"We'll take counsel with Lord Stanley and yourself at Tamworth," Jasper rules. "And decide then what to do. But we will march all together or not at all."

Sir William nods. "And your men?"

"They call it the English adventure," Jasper says with a harsh smile. "They are not here for love but for money. But they are well drilled, and they have nothing to lose. You will see that they will stand against a charge and advance when ordered. They are certainly as strong as a bunch of tenants called from their fields. They will be free and wealthy if we win. They will fight for that."